WD-72 Wide angle and 16x manual lens??? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old May 3rd, 2007, 08:03 AM   #1
Trustee

WD-72 Wide angle and 16x manual lens???

Can anyone verify if the WD-72 Wide angle adapter that is designed for the
A1/G1 will mount on the 16x manual lens?

It is listed as being compatible with the A1-G1 and XL2. It will not mount on the H1 20x lens directly. But it is not clear on the 16x manual lens which is what I use primarily with the H1.

Thanks.
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2008, 02:32 PM   #2
Trustee

I was googling the web for information on this same topic that I posted last year but got no response so I figured I'd use the same thread that popped up on google rather than starting a new one. What exactly makes the WD-72 not work on the H1 lenses? I have an adapter on my 20x lens that essentially extends the 72mm threads out to accomodate century optics adapters that have an extra little lip on them.....but I am hoping it would work with the Canon one also as it has been described to me as having that same property.

It is obvious that the WD-72 was designed in a way to make it not operational with the H1 mechanically, but I think optically it woud be a great tool....if I could confirm that it would mount on the H1 20x or 16x manual lens that is.
Old May 19th, 2008, 03:46 PM   #3
Trustee

Hi Marty,

I don't know if you are asking this question because you already own this adapter. If this is the case, then forget what I am saying.

But if you are looking to buy a wide angle solution for the manual 16x lens, I would suggest the Red Eye HDV adapter. I am using it with an XL2 on both the 20X lens and the 14X manual one. Since this adapter is about the size of a POL filter you can mount it on any 72 mm lens (it has 72mm threads).

Quality wise, it is great, better in my view that the century optics 0.65x. I didn't tested it on an HD camera yet, but I have read about other users who are pleased with the results.
Old May 19th, 2008, 06:08 PM   #4
Major Player

Sorry, but the WD-72 only works on the A1/G1. There is an internal ring that hits the glass and prevents it from screwing on.

Jim Martin
Birns & Sawyer Inc
"At the ArcLight"
Jim Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2008, 06:58 PM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Martin View Post
Sorry, but the WD-72 only works on the A1/G1. There is an internal ring that hits the glass and prevents it from screwing on.

Jim Martin
Birns & Sawyer Inc
"At the ArcLight"
I have an adapter that extends the 72mm threads out from the lens by quite a distance so I am thinking this might work. I realize it was designed to not work on the h1 to protect the 6x lens sales. But with this extended it might work. It is made by century optics to fit adapter onto the xl-h1.
Old May 27th, 2008, 08:56 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Jean-Philippe,
Is the Red Eye full zoom through on the XL2 20x lens? Also, where can I find a vendor for that. B&H doesn't seem to carry it.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2008, 07:15 PM   #7
Trustee

I don't think the Red Eye is a full zoom thru.
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2008, 07:54 PM   #8
Trustee

Hi Marco,

No, the Red eye is definitely not zoom through. The principal interest of this adapter (beside it's pretty good optical quality) reside in it's weight and size (about the size of a polarizer filter.) It doesn't add weight to the already front heavy XL2 and can be used with others accessories like a matte box.

With the 20X you can zoom to about half the zoom range and still be able to focus. But if you set the focus on the wide end, the focus point will not stay locked while you zoom in. you will have to set it back again. I hope I am clear enough, english is not my native language.

Anyway, I believe the red eye is a really good alternative if you want to get an adapter that will fit on any lens.

It is sold in the US by VFGadgets. http://www.vfgadgets.com/RedEye.htm
Old May 27th, 2008, 07:59 PM   #9
Trustee

My interest is only in a zoom through unit and I used to have the Century but something about the Canon intrigues me. I guess I like a challenge.
Old June 26th, 2008, 12:07 PM   #10
Major Player

Marty,
I have the WD-H72 wide angle lens and I'm up in Cleveland. I know you are a little south of me, near Akron. It's a good 1/2 drive, but you're welcome to stop by my work and we can see if the WD-H72 fits...

PM me.

Will
Will Mahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2008, 02:10 PM   #11
Major Player

Update on WD-H72 fitting H1 w/spacer ring.

This totally did not work. Marty and I got together last night to give this a whirl and it did not work out at all. Yes, he has/had a spacer on the 20X lens, but it's still not deep enough. It would have to be twice as deep (a larger spacer) to work.

Oh, and Marty seems like a really good guy.
Will Mahoney is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders