XL2 v XLH1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old May 5th, 2007, 03:50 PM   #1
Major Player

XL2 v XLH1

just watching some of my XL2 footage and comparing it to the XLH1 footage that's shot in Hi Def and downconverted in camera to SD and to me the XL2 footage looks better,

Now 2 things here, is it better to capture in HD and edit and then return it to SD is this possible in Avid Liquid 7?,for DVD distribution

Is the downconverting in camera not very good, have heard that some people are altering there picture profiles on the XLH1 to match the XL2 and yet when viewed in HD the picture looks poor

the XLH1 should be better than the XL2 its twice as much money! its good but i expect better from it
Old May 6th, 2007, 09:09 PM   #2
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Thomas View Post
just watching some of my XL2 footage and comparing it to the XLH1 footage that's shot in Hi Def and downconverted in camera to SD and to me the XL2 footage looks better,

Now 2 things here, is it better to capture in HD and edit and then return it to SD is this possible in Avid Liquid 7?,for DVD distribution

Is the downconverting in camera not very good, have heard that some people are altering there picture profiles on the XLH1 to match the XL2 and yet when viewed in HD the picture looks poor

the XLH1 should be better than the XL2 its twice as much money! its good but i expect better from it
Ian,

I have no XL2 to compare it to, but I have found it's far better final result on DVD if I capture and edit in HD (using Cineform), than if I downconvert in Camera.

I use Vegas, but you must be able to render SD in Avid.
Old May 7th, 2007, 11:03 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Ken

Sorry for been thick, but i capture and edit in HD then downconvert to SD for dvd's in Avid is this the way, Whats this cineform? and do you need it
Old May 7th, 2007, 11:24 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I have never downconverted or shot anything
in DV on the H1, but I hear it is really bad.

Shoot and capture in HDV and output to DVD from there.
You will not use the XL2 much after that.
Old May 8th, 2007, 12:56 AM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Thomas View Post
Thanks Ken

Sorry for been thick, but i capture and edit in HD then downconvert to SD for dvd's in Avid is this the way, Whats this cineform? and do you need it
http://www.cineform.com

It's an intermediate editing codec. Not sure if they have a version for Avid. I've never tried editing native .m2t. Was always told Cineform was far more efficient. There's a Cineform forum here somewhere.
Old May 9th, 2007, 03:11 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Griffith View Post
I have never downconverted or shot anything
in DV on the H1, but I hear it is really bad.
Hmmm, I can't agree with that. I have shot dual camera projects in SD intercutting between XL2 & H1. I prefer the H1, better colour reproduction and noticeably cleaner. Half a stop faster too.

I sold my XL2 for an A1 to partner my H1. Even though I shoot most projects in SD (for corporate and government clients - HD is not broadcast at all here in New Zealand), I can't see any advantage in the XL2 over the H1.
Josh Dahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2007, 06:28 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Dahlberg View Post
Hmmm, I can't agree with that.
I'll take your word for it.

I just don't see the benefit of shooting anything on the H1 in DV, unless
you need to shoot and deliver something really fast and your other cameras
are dv.

Using the H1 to shoot DV is like shooting film and just using the video tap capture!! :)
Old May 9th, 2007, 03:09 PM   #8
Major Player

I know what you're saying, but as I'm shooting in an SD world (conferences and training videos largely) - and yes, often intercutting with DV footage - downconverting from HD would just put an unnecessary step into the production chain. Besides being an HD camera, the H1 shoots great SD - I previously owned a couple of DVX100s and the H1 murders them in SD.

The prime reason I switched from the XL2 to the H1 was for my own personal projects, for which I shoot HD obviously. But I have been pleasantly surprised at the H1's SD performance - clean, sharp SD images - ... so as I said, the XL2 became superfluous.
Josh Dahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2007, 03:11 PM   #9
Regular Crew

xlh1 footage that will be used as SD looks so much better shot in HD THEN down converted in fcp or compressor. Trust me. Edit as HD then export your SD. Just imagine telling your clients if they want HD in the future you have there project covered. :)
Andy Lunn is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders