Follow Focus Units for EF Lenses at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old May 12th, 2007, 01:48 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Follow Focus Units for EF Lenses

Hi everyone,

Just brought my fresh H1 for a nature shoot this morning. It was mounted with a Canon 180 macro and a Vocas MB-250 matte box with support rods. The head used is a Vinten Vision 6 and the tripod is a Gitzo 1410. Camera worked fine but there was many a time when I had to tilt up say from the hind-end of a dragonfly to it's head and I had to follow focus. It was definitely not smooth in much of the shots.

Thus I would like to ask whether a follow focus unit such as those by Vocas are compatible with Canon EF lenses? I believe having a follow focus unit will LESSEN the vibration that was seen in the footage as there is less contact with the lens?

Thank you very much for any advice in advance.

Cheers

WeeHan
Yeo Wee Han is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2007, 09:23 AM   #2
Trustee

A rail mounted follow focus will work, but you will need to gear the lens.
A no cost option would be to change your iris to allow a wider depth of field.
David W. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2007, 05:08 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks alot David. That is good to know. But may I know what you mean by gearing the lens? My experience with FF units are almost nil though I did use them almost a decade ago when I was in film school but not much at all.

Cheers

WeeHan
Yeo Wee Han is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders