nikkon prime lens for the m2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old May 15th, 2007, 02:24 PM   #1
Regular Crew

nikkon prime lens for the m2

I am sure this has been asked before but hell man i cant find any secondhand nikon prime lens to use with the m2 adapter and the xlh1. Can anybody help suggest website in uk? I am looking for

Nikon Prime 50mm f1.4

A wide angle (need suggestions)

and a nikon 85-105 mm

Anybody help? I have the kit but cant use it lol no lens's.

A.
Andy Lunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2007, 03:07 PM   #2
Major Player

I fell in love with 35mm F1.4 lens, really nice, it's not that wide, the faces look still undeformed as on wider lense, you get low DOF, if you will go wider, say 24, I think that the shallow DOF, becomes insignificant, can just use stock lens. I look forward to get a Carl Ziess 85mm F1.4 lens, incredible color contrast, and great DOF.
Oleg Kalyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2007, 05:38 PM   #3
Major Player

Andy - you must not be looking hard enough on your browser - here in the US you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a used Nikkor lens -
Steve Rosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2007, 08:10 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Search eBay. You need to put in different combinations of search words and search all as well as just the camera section. You will get different search results.

eg., Nikon 35mm f1.4, Nikon f1.4 35mm

The gem and a rarest bird is the Nikkor 28mm f1.4, said to be worth more now used than when it was still sold new.

There are 35mm f1.4's and 35mm f1.4's. Early ones have some thorium glass elements (radioactive) and have gone yellow.

The honest vendors will publish images of the lens including views through the optics against a plain white background. Highly coloured backgrounds may be innocent creativity but also may intended to hide this colour cast.

All is not lost however. White balance, although awkard when having to adjust for individual lenses will take care of it and apparently, the colour cast can be bleached out some by leaving the lens in bright sunlight (or bright UV lamplight) for about a week.

(Just don't carry a thorium lens around in a fanibag as a badge of honour for a year or sleep with it under your bed.)

When "sunning" the lens, to prevent heating, lube drying, possible expansion damage at glass-metal joints and fading of casework finish, the metal surfaces should be wrapped in reflective metal cooking foil.

Bear in mind there may be a risk of accellerating deterioration of balsmamic bonds between doublet elements which can also be a source of colour cast as they break down.

There are also third party manufacturers for Nikon mount, such as Sigma, Tamron, Zeiss, Tokina as I guess you already well know. They are not all bad and offer some combinations Nikon does not.

Last edited by Bob Hart; May 15th, 2007 at 08:12 PM. Reason: error
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2007, 08:25 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Lunn View Post
I am sure this has been asked before but hell man i cant find any secondhand nikon prime lens to use with the m2 adapter and the xlh1. Can anybody help suggest website in uk? I am looking for

Nikon Prime 50mm f1.4

A wide angle (need suggestions)

and a nikon 85-105 mm

Anybody help? I have the kit but cant use it lol no lens's.

A.
Here's what I suggest for WiDE:
1) 24mm f/2.8 Nikkor [Ai or Ais]
2) 28mm f/1.4 AFd Nikkor
3) 28mm f/2 Nikkor Ai
4) 35mm f/1.4 Nikkor AIs
5) 35mm f/2 Nikkor [Ai or Ais]

You can get them here: http://www.adorama.com/catalog.tpl?o...gory&cat1=Used

or here:
http://www.keh.com/onlinestore/home.aspx

P.S: I suggest only buying the ones marked "Ex" for Excellent condition or Ex+
Old May 16th, 2007, 04:15 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Try Mifsud, Calumet or Grays of Westminster for second-hand lenses.
Andrew Davies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2007, 04:47 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks guys. Hows about

Nikon 50mm f1.8 E manual focus prime lens
NIKON 28 mm F2.8 AIS WIDE-ANGLE PRIME LENS
NIKON 135 mm F2.8 AIS TELEPHOTO PRIME LENS

Found somebody selling them. Think I will need manual focus lens only.
Andy Lunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2007, 04:57 PM   #8
Inner Circle

For the Letus35 adapters, which should not present a much different situation with M2, Steven Dempsey recommended a the Nikon Series E 100 mm and I purchased on Ebay pretty cheap. Great lens... Also have the 35mm Nikon 2.0 bought on EBay, great lens. Also have the 50mm F 1.4. Has a sticky aperature leaf 1.4 to 2.8 that I have to manipulated by removing lens from mount, but does a fantastic job.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders