Apple IO-HD and XL-H1 24F capture - NEW INFO at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old June 5th, 2007, 08:47 PM   #1
Major Player

Apple IO-HD and XL-H1 24F capture - NEW INFO

So I was at the Apple FCS 2 Tour today in NYC and besides being able to watch the RED short movie made by Peter Jackson (damn, RED is probably the cleanest looking footage I have ever seen on a large screen - almost too clean and sharp and it was only being projeted in 2K), I was able to check out a working IO-HD by AJA.

I spoke with their rep and asked whether it would reverse pulldown upon capture from the HD-SDI from the H1 and he said they were working on it and that it would most likely be ready before the release, or if anything a simple driver update afterwards. But in other words ... this box will reverse pulldown and record a true 1080p24 ProRes HQ file. It will require hooking up timecode out as well as the HD-SDI to the box though.

Also, it will combine eveything (video, audio, and timecode).

And last but not least, they are working on a field battery for the unit and he said it would be relatively inexpensive.

I want one of these for field capture now for my H1 :)
Michael Galvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2007, 02:19 PM   #2
Starway Pictures

Damn! I hate these kinds of "iffy" answers. We were originally going to shoot our feature (which starts shooting August 1st) using RED. But REDs got huge supplier problems and are therefore experiencing an engineering delay.

So we had to devise "plan B". Plan B is to use our H1 and mate it up with the AJA IO HD on set so we can get a nice clean 10-bit direct to disk image using ProRes.

And now we won't know for sure whether or not the AJA IO HD will work with the H1.

FARK!

Can the footage be captured in 60i mode and then inverse telecined?
Robert Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2007, 09:29 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Sanders View Post
Damn! I hate these kinds of "iffy" answers. We were originally going to shoot our feature (which starts shooting August 1st) using RED. But REDs got huge supplier problems and are therefore experiencing an engineering delay.

So we had to devise "plan B". Plan B is to use our H1 and mate it up with the AJA IO HD on set so we can get a nice clean 10-bit direct to disk image using ProRes.

And now we won't know for sure whether or not the AJA IO HD will work with the H1.

FARK!

Can the footage be captured in 60i mode and then inverse telecined?
I believe you misunderstood my post, but correct me if I'm wrong ...

The H1 is FULLY compatible with the AJA Io-HD. The signal coming out of the HS-SDI is just like any other HD-SDI signal, minus the timecode and audio of course.

What the rep said was they were working on the IO-HD being able to reverse telecine on the fly. So it will be able to reverse the pulldown and record a true 1080p24 file for you. THe thing is you will have to hookup timecode out to the IO-HD as well for this to work as it uses the timecode information to help do the reverse telecine.
Michael Galvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2007, 10:54 AM   #4
Major Player

Thanks Michael !
Great news...
I heard somewhere that there was someway to capture Audio with the IO-HD-- that it has xlr - ins and you can record the audio directly as you capture footage - (not sure how this would work)

any ideas.

How did the trailer end up btw?
John Benton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2007, 11:14 AM   #5
Starway Pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Galvan View Post
I believe you misunderstood my post, but correct me if I'm wrong ...

The H1 is FULLY compatible with the AJA Io-HD. The signal coming out of the HS-SDI is just like any other HD-SDI signal, minus the timecode and audio of course.

What the rep said was they were working on the IO-HD being able to reverse telecine on the fly. So it will be able to reverse the pulldown and record a true 1080p24 file for you. THe thing is you will have to hookup timecode out to the IO-HD as well for this to work as it uses the timecode information to help do the reverse telecine.
So basically if the pulldown is not implemented then you would theoretically set the camera for 24F and the IO HD to record in 60i and then use CinemaTools or MPEGStreamclip to do the pulldown.
Old June 7th, 2007, 12:43 PM   #6
Major Player

I'm wondering could you record to tape as a back up at the same time?
Gary McClurg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2007, 10:31 PM   #7
Trustee

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to record to tape (HDV)as a back up. IN fact you may even be able to use one of the SDI out to go to a deck as well.

Last edited by Nick Hiltgen; June 8th, 2007 at 04:16 PM.
Nick Hiltgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2007, 11:20 AM   #8
Starway Pictures

Hey Nick. Will you be at CineGear talking about "The Signal"? I spoke with Tim Smith and he mentioned there was an event/seminar regarding your film.
Old June 8th, 2007, 01:05 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Sanders View Post
Hey Nick. Will you be at CineGear talking about "The Signal"? I spoke with Tim Smith and he mentioned there was an event/seminar regarding your film.
Thought I'd throw in a question to Nick also (not sure about a film out with Signal)... of course they're not out yet... but what would be your best guess on using the XL H1 with the new P & S adapter for the camera and their retooled Zeiss primes and the IO-HD?
Old June 8th, 2007, 01:26 PM   #10
Starway Pictures

We've been considering using an P+S for our shoot as well. But our shoot schedule is so tight we're really afraid it'll slow us down. So we're weighing having a nice DoF with speed.
Old June 8th, 2007, 04:15 PM   #11
Trustee

Hey Robert,

Yeah, Me and one of the directors (Dan Bush) will be speaking about the signal for the la film festival, it's on the 24th from 3-4:30 I think we're one of the free ones, so feel free to come out and heckle us.

I'm also planning on getting into towna little early to hang out at cine gear, I'm hoping ZGC and P+S will have an example of their new mini35c which incorporates the flip function of the xl-h1 (about time something did) which means less light loss, and hopefully quicker, cheaper set-ups.

Hey Gary, Uh, I'm not sure what your question is. I think that setup with IO-HD and the mini 35 will be an awesome set-up. The lenses honestly seem a litle expensive to me, considering you can get approx. the same thing from RPlens for about half the price. I just wish there was a way for them to incorporate an ef adapter to the min 35 so we could use the canon l-series ef primes and have iris control. Doesn't seem that difficult right?
Old June 8th, 2007, 05:59 PM   #12
Major Player

Nick,

Just checked out rplens... thanks...

Gary
Old June 9th, 2007, 01:13 AM   #13
Trustee

No problem, a friend of mine has a set and he seems really happy with them. Are you guys looking at renting or buying an io-hd? I've been kicking it around myself, and am just curious.
Old June 12th, 2007, 01:02 PM   #14
Starway Pictures

We're planning on purchasing the AJA IO HD for our feature. My only concern is that if they don't have the pulldown feature enabled for the XLH1 by the time we shoot we'll have to do the pulldown in post and subject the footage to a generation loss.

Thankfully ProRess 422 shines in generation-ally.
Old June 13th, 2007, 07:34 AM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hiltgen View Post
No problem, a friend of mine has a set and he seems really happy with them. Are you guys looking at renting or buying an io-hd? I've been kicking it around myself, and am just curious.
Talked to... RPlens and a set of Canon L f1.4's primes would go for $4,800... oh... the 50mm is a just f1.4... not a L lens...

Didn't think about rental on the I/O but guessing what a rental would cost... maybe $300 a day... three day week $900... three week shoot $2,700...

So then could you come up with the extra cash to buy it...or throw that extra cash into something else on the shoot... always thinking as a line producer...

Can't remember from NAB wasn't the I/O like $4,500?
Gary McClurg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders