canon hd 6x zoom lense at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old June 8th, 2007, 05:08 AM   #1
New Boot

canon hd 6x zoom lense

I have recently acquired a canon hd 6x zoom xl 3.4-20.4 L lens for my xl h1 camcorder. I can't get the macro side of it working. It won't focus close up to a subject. What am I doing wrong. Any ideas?
Stan Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2007, 10:47 AM   #2
Major Player

There is a switch on the lens barrel that when set won't permit focus at closer than 1m in auto focus mode. This is to prevent it locking onto dust specks on the front element, water droplets on a UV filter etc. So make sure that switch is set to full focus range or be sure the lens is in manual focus mode. That's about all I can think of.

Last edited by A. J. deLange; June 8th, 2007 at 10:49 AM. Reason: Improve awkward wording
A. J. deLange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2007, 11:05 AM   #3
New Boot

canon hd 6x

A.J.

Have you used one of these lenses for macro work and if so what are the results like?

That switch you mention is the one that allows you to select from macro right through to infinity? I've set it at macro and put the camcorder into manual mode but it didn't focus up close.

Is there another switch I've missed? I am at work right now so I don't have the lense to hand at the minute.

Thanks for the help.
Stan
Old June 8th, 2007, 01:20 PM   #4
Major Player

Stan,

I'm also at work so can't go check anything but yes, that's the switch and yes, I did take one macro shot but have not done anything extensive in this mode. I'll play around with it some more this evening and see what I can find out.

A.J.
Old June 8th, 2007, 05:10 PM   #5
Major Player

OK. Here's the most important part. The minumum focus distance depends on the focal length setting. At widest focal length I can apparently focus down to a few centimeters. The EVF display minimum indication is 0.1 m (10 cm) and I am able to focus that close. At longer focal lengths the minumum indicated setting goes up to about .3 m. According to the sheet that came with the lens the minimum focal distance at the wide setting is 2 cm (.02 m) and I can do that (though the display says 0.1m. At the maximum focal length the sheet says 50 cm and that appears to be about the best I can do.
Old June 9th, 2007, 04:00 PM   #6
New Boot

A.J.

Thanks. I'll have another go at it.

Stan
Old June 9th, 2007, 08:24 PM   #7
Regular Crew

The focus limiter will also allow faster AF as the lens has a shorter "distance" to travel to acquire focus. And yes, the shorter focal lengths will allow a closer focusing distance.

Cheers

WeeHan
Yeo Wee Han is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders