DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   What matte box is this? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/96127-what-matte-box.html)

Norman Woo June 8th, 2007 09:41 PM

What matte box is this?

Hi Folks

Well folks, after debating between the XL2 and the XL H1, I finally decided to go with the XL H1 (I get to reuse almost all of my accessories from my XL1).

Anyways, I'm looking at getting also a matte box and the one shown in the following photo is the one I like to get. Can anyone identify the matte box/rail set used?

http://www.usa.canon.com/app/html/XL...study_03.shtml

Thanks

Serena Steuart June 9th, 2007 01:05 AM

matt box?

Can't see sufficient details in that photograph. Looks like a Chrosziel (more by the shape of the french flag than anything else), but from that angle and at that resolution many look the same.

Richard Alvarez June 9th, 2007 06:08 AM

I agree... I think it's a Chrosziel.

Kevin Martorana June 13th, 2007 05:47 AM

Same here....

Be careful....though. We have the quick release "Sony Style" plate for the Canon..

Chrosziel mounts a plate onto the bottom of the Canon....for the rods. You must then take the Canon plate...and mount it to that....unfortunately...there are no holes drilled in the Chrosziel for this. I had to take our to a machine shop...to add holes...so I could mount the Canon plate onto the Chrosziel plate...

When I get back from my location shoot this week...I'll post some photos....because I know this sounds confusing.

Ultimately....I love the matte box...but some modifications were necessary.

I told Chrosziel about it...but I don't know if they did anything to rectify the problem. That was July of 06.

Kevin Martorana June 17th, 2007 11:37 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Okay...I hope I can explain this well.

As you know...the Canon XLH1's lens is not directly 'in line" with the rest of the camera.

When we got the matte box... Chrosziel supplied a plate that screws into the bottom of the camera. It is off- set, to allow the rods to line up with the lens. Very easy to setup.

BUT....The Canon quick release plate...(which was screwed into the bottom of the camera before...) now...has no place to live.

The Canon plate fits the Chrosziel fine (side to side and top to bottom)...but there were no tapped holes to attach the Canon plate....to the Chrosziel plate.

We took the plates to a local machine shop....because we didn't want to screw up any tapping....and had them do the drilling. This cost aboutt $80.00 to drill 4 holes....

BUT...the completed project works well....is tight...and easily lets us quick release from the tripod...with mattebox attached.

I dont' know if Chrosziel has addressed this problem....but the Mattebox and rods and all accessories work well.

Greg Waite June 28th, 2007 06:43 AM

norman, have you got a matte box as yet,
a few of us in australia have got the canovision (from canada) and found it to be good value for money... fits the h1 witout any extra hole etc.
greg

Norman Woo July 11th, 2007 03:04 PM

Hi Greg

No I'm still looking.

Which Cavision model did you get for the XL H1?

I like to be able to use a Matte box with both my XL1 and XL H1. I'm interested in the full setup (rods, m atte box and french flag).

Michael Galvan July 13th, 2007 07:55 PM

Hey Norm,

I sent you an email about a mattebox.

Michael

Greg Waite July 13th, 2007 08:19 PM

matte box

g'day norman

we got he following -
MB410H-2
also got the dual handgrips side flaps, rod support
works very well
also got the 5 filter kit - not a bad kit
the matte box is very slghtly off centre but we have not found this to be too much trouble
i love the dual hand grips as i do a lot of run&gun typs shooting, and it does make it alot better for long periods of time - i think we will get the remote grip for it very soon.
the other thing is it make the camera look alot more "professional" - while we all know it's not the size that matters, but "clients" still think bigger is better!!!!!

Greg Waite July 13th, 2007 08:22 PM

matte box

also meant too add - fits great with xl 1
also you can use wide angle with it (just be carefull not to be fully wide)
and the guys fron cavision were great to deal with - we rang them from australia and ordered, and all went well - got it in a few days
greg

Greg Waite July 13th, 2007 08:33 PM

matte box filters

the 5 filter kit is from cavision:
Polarizer
Soft Mist Black
Graduated Neutral Density
Graduated Blue
Graduated Orange ( not a good sunset to orange)

i would suggest get these plus -
Solid Neutral Density