Decklink HD Extreme capture of XL-H1 HDSDI and RCA audio at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old July 19th, 2007, 09:44 AM   #1
Major Player

Decklink HD Extreme capture of XL-H1 HDSDI and RCA audio

Has anyone tried capturing the HD-SDI signal from the XL-H1 and the RCA analog audio out of the camera and into a Decklink HD Extreme? Does capturing it this way at the same time sync the audio with the video signal? For some reason, why do I feel like there will be some sort of audio drift or sync issue doing it this way, if its even possible ...
Michael Galvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2007, 11:58 AM   #2
Major Player

I use the HV20 to capture HDV tapes to DVCPROHD 1080i through component and it stays in sync.
It should work with HD SDI as well.
Old July 19th, 2007, 07:40 PM   #3
Major Player

I have captured audio/video from the H1 two different ways.

1. Using a Convergent Connect box...that takes the firewire output....splits the timecode from firewire to RS422 and take the audio (ch. 1 and 2 only) and combines it with HDSDI video...

2. HD SDI video out of the jack pack...and audio from the RCA's into a mixer...then into our NLE. Works fine...no audio drift that we've seen.
Kevin Martorana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2007, 04:22 AM   #4
Major Player

Well, I'd like to go HD-SDI out directly from the camera to the card and RCA out from the camera directly into the card. Unfortunately, I won't have a mixer for this upcoming shoot.

Will going out directly to the card both digitally through the HD-SDI and analog audio through the RCA ports work? WIll the card combine both signals upon record?
Michael Galvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2007, 02:05 PM   #5
Major Player

Michael..

That's probably more of a questions for Decklink. Hopefully in the software...you have the option to select your video source and audio source. If that's the case..you'll be golden.
Kevin Martorana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2007, 11:19 AM   #6
Major Player

Yes, I reinstalled my Decklink HD Extreme card and tried this and indeed, it does work. I then took the footage and reversed the telecine and brought it back to 23.976. No audio/video sync issues too after the reverse telecine. I love it :)
Michael Galvan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders