(off topic) vcr player in xl1s matter? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old May 23rd, 2003, 12:42 PM   #1
Regular Crew

(off topic) vcr player in xl1s matter?

here's a question that i'm sure will seem silly. it involves the vcr player built into the xl1s. basically, what i'm trying to find out is:

1 - does usage of the vcr player (play, record, etc) affect the overall functionality of the camcorder? will excessive vcr usage hurt the xl1s?

2 - is there a difference in recording quality of the vcr in an xl1s compared to that of a much lower end camcorder?

i ask because, i tend to dump a lot of finished edits back onto dv tape. and since i don't have a dv deck, i use my xl1s to record. i also use my xl1s to play footage when i log and capture. and i was wondering if it's a good investment to spend a few hundred dollars on a low-end dv camcorder, solely for the purpose of playback and recording. thanks!
Edwin Quan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2003, 01:47 PM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

1. Like any mechanical device, it will wear with usage. The same transport is used for playing tape as well as recording it.

2. No. Since footage is coming into the camera via Firewire, rather than through the lens and imaging system, there's not advantage or disadvantage between models, per se. The only issue that comes to mind would be potential minute differences in transport speed between cameras. But I would think that you'd see such a problem pretty quickly in the form of image break-up.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2003, 07:51 AM   #3
Wrangler

To add to Ken's note, head wear is the same whether recording or playback. Using the XL1 for a player adds head wear. If you playback a lot (many hours per week), it may be worth using a lower cost player to save wear on the more costly XL1.
Old May 24th, 2003, 12:36 PM   #4
Wrangler

There have been many suggestions to get a cheap miniDV cam to perform this VCR function. The are a few caveats to this:

1 - Its not a production deck. A real production deck is built beefier and has other profe$$ional features.

2 - Some miniDV cams do not support 4-track audio. If you do not use Canon 4-track, then this should not be a issue. Optionally, when you output your production, you can still use the cheaper miniDV cam.

Hope this helps,

For quick answers try our Search!
To see me and Rob Lohman click here
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog