My First Wed Video (laughs permitted) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old May 27th, 2003, 01:09 PM   #1
Regular Crew

My First Wed Video (laughs permitted)

My God, I was more (a hole lot more) nervious than the bride, my hands shaking, sweating like a horse, filming all the way with the Xl1s extra fully loaded (lcd monitor, MA200, the Senheisser and I also attached a MD for the lavalier) uuff, I still need air!

But, it was fun. Some people ask me to film other activities (I know, I know it was just because the Cam) and of course they can't imagine that that was my first video.

Now serious, I notice that whithout all the "things' on, I hardly can handle the Cam for just some minutes, then my hand starts to hurt really bad, but with it all loaded I can mantain a better balance and to be honest all my body hurts... but not the hand, Ja, ja, ja.

Just sharing,

Alexis

BTW The quality of the film was great!
Alexis Vazquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2003, 01:25 PM   #2
High School Student

Congrats.

About you getting pooped out quickly while using the camera, it's usually a good idea to work out and be in shape, you don't see too many really out of shape guys working big camera setups. I'm not saying your out of shape, or anything, I don't even know you, but it doesn't hurt to be "fit"... :D
Alex Knappenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2003, 02:30 PM   #3
Wrangler

Alex, it's not a matter of shape necessarily. Holding 10lbs of video camera at that angle off your body, using only your forearms is not what our arms are designed to do. This is why we have tripods and monopods.

Which leads me to...
ALEXIS, BUY A TRIPOD!!! :)

Do you have any clips of the shoot you can show us?
Old May 27th, 2003, 06:38 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks guys, I do have a tripod. The place where everything took place was so little that I couldn't set up tripods, I'm working with two cams, (the second one is a cheaper 8mm) but does a great job as a back up scenes only.

The only time I could work with the tripod was at the reception, I begin at 10 am filming the prep of bride and the reception preparation, and the ceremony, it took more than 3 hours til I could use the tripod at the reception.

Thank guys,
(I also think I should visit a GYM, ja, ja ja.

Alexis
Old May 27th, 2003, 07:58 PM   #5
High School Student

The XL1 isn't that hefty of a camera, 6LBs, plus the extra stuff, 10lbs tops, like you mentioned. I played with one for about 20 minutes before, and it didn't wear me out too much. Imagine using a much much bigger camera, shoulder mounted for a hour or so. There's also them things that clip onto your belt that add some extra support...
Alex Knappenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2003, 11:23 PM   #6
Wrangler

I'm glad you "played arouund" with an XL1 for 20 minutes. But that's not anywhere in the same league as keeping a steady framed shot for 20 minuted while using it hand held.

I've used heavier, bigger cameras, and the XL1 is still harder to use for extended periods because it does not sit on your shoulder. Obviously those cameras are much easier to hold for extended periods of time, as your body takes the weight, not your arms. Hence the popularity of the design in professional use.
Old May 28th, 2003, 03:33 AM   #7
Major Player

With an MA200, battery charger, and Lightwave isolator you should be able to get the XL1 more onto the shoulder though. Still waiting for my kit before I can put theory into practice tho'.
Nigel Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2003, 03:30 PM   #8
Wrangler

I used someone elses XL1 with a MA200 with an Anton Bauer mounted fairly large battery. It delivered about the same weight to the top of the shoulder that the shoulder rest thing delivers to the front of the shoulder. IMHO, very little improvement. I'd really like to test out the System Isolator though. I think that might help more on its own than a MA200 and rear batteries. No matter what, it's still one nose dive of a camera. I still love it though.
Old May 30th, 2003, 06:48 AM   #9
RED Code Chef

I did a run-and-gun type shoot months back and that was pretty
draining indeed on my arm. But I got used to it a bit....

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2003, 08:15 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Another not so funny thing that happened was this little kid running around the cam, everytime he pass in front of it he waves his hand so close to me that he moved my cam Urrrrrrrrr. I had to ask someone to be my "bodyguard" so everytime he see him he can alert me...

A sad thing that happened was at the final of the ceremony, I was running out to get them from a front view when I hit the back side of the cam with my shoulder (the MA200) I was hanging the Senheisser reciever and a MD there, well they both pop out right to the floor...Ufff The Sen is ok, but I loose all audio from the MD, and now the MD does not record anymore.... :-(

Well, Keep laughing guys, I'm doing it my self!

Alexis
Old May 30th, 2003, 09:43 PM   #11
Regular Crew

My only comment here is that it took me about 6-7 weddings to finally get the setup I feel comfortable with. I started out with lots of stuff on there, Anton bauer battery & holder, wireless receiver, shotgun mic, light, ma-100, mattebox, etc.. and now I am down to a Beachtek adapter and the included little shoulder pad that comes with the XL1s... and I am much happier! (and so is my back).

I wear my Anton bauer battery on a belt and feed the cam with the XLR power cord and adapter from NRG. i find myself much more manuverable now too, I can get shots and angles I could not get before with all that stuff hanging off the cam... but I dont get as many people oogling my camera either!

I was at a big reception 3 weeks ago taping and the grooms college buddies started to sing to the bride, within seconds everyone flocked around them making a barrier that I could not get through if I wanted to... so I flipped the viewfinder downwards and held the camera over my head for what seemed like forever! but I got the shot! I would have never been able to do that if I had my original setup with all the stuff hanging off of it...

So I would say to keep playing around with your gear until you find a happy medium! Your back will thank you too!

Chris
Chris Ferrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2003, 10:59 PM   #12
New Boot

I did my first Wedding this past Saturday and I was extremely nervous also. To tell you the truth, I was more nervous at the Rehearsal by my self than I was at the Wedding and Reception with a second camera person.

It was great though, had a lot of fun, made some extra $. I went out and bought two Canon GL2's, a Sennheiser LAV mic, 6 big boy batteries, a light, bogen tripods, and many more acessories so I was setup real nice.

I can't wait to film my next one. I'd like to do a short movie of some sort but am not much of a writer so I don't know where to start.

Cya,

Joe
Overland Park, KS
Joe Camerlinck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2003, 07:21 AM   #13
Regular Crew

I still haven't edited this fim, I'b be posting some clips as soon I can get my hands on it. I was filming last night a photoshooting for a "making of video" and I had lots of focus problems, Im not sure if it was because of the low light they was using, but I hardly could get it in focus.. Any idea, comments, or suggestions... (I was using first Manual mode, then I change to Auto mode with manual focus, ND Filter off.)

BTW whats the better way to mantain a nice focus while the cam is moving (like for music videos).

Alexis
Old June 10th, 2003, 07:24 AM   #14
RED Code Chef

Manual focus is the best to go. This makes sure you don't have
any focus hunting (which can happen with both a stationary
and a moving camera -> I have had both). Ofcourse manual
focus does take more work....

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2003, 07:37 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Thanks Rob,
I found very dificult to mantain the focus this way, are there any special techniques or tips I should know? A friend told me I should zoom at max, focus and then return zoom as needed. As far its the only hint I know.
Alexis Vazquez is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog