Xl1 Help! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old October 31st, 2007, 01:57 PM   #1
New Boot

Xl1 Help!

I've posted a related issue before and got some very helpful responses, but my back is against the wall here and I could really use some follow-up help. My XL1 has gone nuts on me recently, misaligned heads (yes, I've tried cleaning several times). Tapes shot since the problem -- and even some that were recorded before and played back -- now show the shifting horizontal pixelation across the screen.

I know I'm going to get it repaired asap, but in the meanwhile, I'm trying to salvage some video. I shot a wedding months ago BEFORE the heads went out of whack. I've only played back the tapes before the problem happened (or at least before it was detectable) and they all played fine then. Since discovering the problem, I've only tried playing back the tapes on another mini-dv camera, but now the distortion is seen on these tapes as if they were recorded with bad heads. I don't get it.

Can anyone please, PLEASE give me some good advice on how I can capture this footage? Am I SOL and the tapes are now somehow corrupted from the XL1? Is it possible the problem isn't a head misalignment but lies elsewhere, eg the tapes being physically hacked somehow? Is there ANYTHING I can do short of shipping off to Canon for repair? Thanks in advance.
Eric Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2007, 03:55 PM   #2
Trustee

Try useing the Canon as a deck. If the tape was recorded on head that were misaligne when recording, the Canon xl1 may play it back. Then, download it to your computer or, record a new copy useing the Canon as play and your deck as record. That may give you a good copy. Bob
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2007, 06:51 PM   #3
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Safay View Post
Try useing the Canon as a deck. If the tape was recorded on head that were misaligne when recording, the Canon xl1 may play it back. Then, download it to your computer or, record a new copy useing the Canon as play and your deck as record. That may give you a good copy. Bob
Hi Bob, Thanks for the advice. I thought the same and actually tried that for a few seconds with this and other tapes, but no dice. Part of the problem may be because the heads weren't misaligned when these particular tapes were shot. I'm sweating bullets.
Eric Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2007, 10:12 PM   #4
Major Player

I see you tried playing back the original tapes on another camera.
I would try playing them on a different other camera and play a known good tape on the same camera to verify it is in fact ok.
This will prove whether the tapes have been recorded ok.It is possible that your XL1 was out of alignment when the tape was recorded and has since gotten worse.It may also be that it has contaminated the tape. So in the test camera forward to a position you have not view recently.
If you put a new tape in the XL1 now and record, does it play back ok?
Jack Smith is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog