do i need a viewfinder right now??? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old November 16th, 2007, 11:57 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Eric,

I'm not sure what your cash flow situation is, or what your intended production goals are... but as others have mentioned, going back to 'reconstruct' a Pal XL1 might not be 'cost effective'. It's POSSIBLE I suppose, but you're going to be subject to the whims of auctions.

You might just consider the xl1 body you have as a good 'deck'. (Yes, you can playback tapes with it, and feed your computer's NLE without having a lens or viewfinder attached to it.)

Save up your money, and go for 'newer' model on sale, complete.

Just a thought.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2007, 12:50 PM   #17
New Boot

its a NTSC version. yea i was thinking of that too. but all i need to get filming is some batteries and a lens. i have a small monitor that i can use instead of the viewfinder for now.

i know what you mean tho. it would have been nice to get a total solution. but i dont have that kind of bank.
Eric Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2007, 01:03 PM   #18
New Boot

and small odds and ends i can get for christmas.

in fact i think that i wont even bother with the viewfinder, or the mic. i have all of my pro audio gear so sound is covered. and i should be able to make due with the monitors i have laying around. sure it will be a pain in the ass draging power cables around for all of that stuff, but if all it does is slow me down thats fine. that way all i have to do is buy a lens. i can put the rest of the money towards the XHA1 (which my company sells, so i get a discount).

i havent looked yet but is there a lens that is compatable with both the XL1 body and the XHA1?

and i suppose i could also make sure the odds and ends for christmas can fit both cameras.

all hypothetical tho....
does that sound like a realistic plan?
Old November 16th, 2007, 01:26 PM   #19
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Casper View Post
is there a lens that is compatable with both the XL1 body and the XHA1?
The lens on the XH A1 is built-in and therefore non-removeable, which is entirely different from an XL camera, in which the lens is completely separate from the body... so hopefully you can see how there can be no such thing as a lens that works on both camcorders.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2007, 01:28 PM   #20
New Boot

looks like i need another plan.
Old November 17th, 2007, 12:34 AM   #21
New Boot

No problem Eric
I am away from home just now working but I will be back in 2 weeks, I will send you photo of lens and all the other bits and a price. It will be cheap, I just want to get some cash together to buy my new cam before xmas, got to record the little man opening his pressies!! Unfortunetly, the camera is PAL so the view finder wont work with a NTSC body but everything else should. I will contact you soon on this thread with my contact details to get yours.
Martin D. Smith is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog