Cokin bellows hood at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old June 16th, 2003, 09:39 AM   #1
Major Player

Cokin bellows hood

is anyone using the Coking Bellows Hood with the P series filter holder? I'd like to hear how durable this hood is.

thanks
Yang Wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2003, 10:11 AM   #2
Major Player

I have the A hood for my still camera, i believe it is the A hood anyways. It has lasted many bashings and much usage.

The only think annoying it is very very very easy to tounch and get fingerprints all over the filters when taking them out or putting them in.

Zac
Zac Stein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2003, 10:31 AM   #3
Major Player

Im curious as to what material is the bellow made of? I heard that it's some sort of paper material so does that hold shape easily? meanining once you set a length, does it have a tendency to shrink back?

Also, does the bellow have some sort of weather resistant coating?

Also, I suspect the filters simple drop-in into the holder, so does that mean it will easily slide out or shift around if the camera is titled too much?

thanks
Yang Wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2003, 10:47 AM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

Re: fingerprints, get some cheap white cotton gloves, find them at any photo store, always have a pair in your gear bag.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2003, 10:54 AM   #5
Major Player

Chris yeah got that, it is not the point of wiping them off, it is the fact it is almost impossible to not get them on it :(

Zac

Ohh now i actually read gloves instead of cloth, heheh got ya, got them too.

Hhehe

Just saying it is a bit of a fault in the design.
Zac Stein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2003, 09:50 PM   #6
New Boot

How about the Hass Pro shade ? can it be attached on XL1S ?
Billy Yeung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2003, 05:00 PM   #7
New Boot

I use the Lee Hood with P series Cokin filters on an XL1s. This works well and shows no signs of deterioration. The bellows appear to be made of a thin impregnated cloth. Have to be careful that the bellows are not in shot at the wide end of the lens.

Ned Cordery
Ned Cordery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2003, 11:52 PM   #8
Trustee

Hi Tech make a metal filter holder with a rotating stage for P size filters. Hitech and Lee make various lens shades and belloes for the P. There is always the 100mm square (4x4") Lee and Hitech as well. The hoods and bellows both companies make are top quality. Cokin seems to be limited to cheap plastic.

http://www.formatt.co.uk/hitech/hardware.asp
http://www.2filter.com/prices/products/hitech8.html

http://www.leefiltersusa.com/PDFs/Camera/CamPdfIndex.html#
For the Lee video Hoods and the cokin hoods ,go to the very bottom of the menu page and click on "English" under "Video Products Brochure"

The shortfall of these holders is that they are open at the back where the filter slots are located.

With lee and hightech holders both trays rotate together as well.

Most of the mounts are threaded adapters screwed onto the end of your lens.

If you go with the 100mm matteboxes you can buy adapter frames from Lee so the P sixe filters will fit in the 100mm tray.

A British outfiT TLS, markets a Kestrel and a Lee KestrelMatte Box. This unit can be configured for Lee filters only (the Lee Kestrel) and it will only hold 2mm or 1.5mm resin filters that are 100mm (4") wide and up to 150mm (6") long. Two fixed and one rotating.

or

The TLS Kestrel will hold one fixed and one rotating 100mm (4") filter 4-6" long at any width up to 4mm.

The Kestrel has both a hard shade with french flag and light flap over the filter stages and a self supporting bellows. The shade and bellows simply clip on.

The filter holder attaches by either a screw on or clampon lens mount. I prefer the clamp mount for wide angle lenses.

TLS sell their stuff online .
http://www.truelens.co.uk/kestrel.htm
The basic unit is 250 GBP (1(pound stirling) GBP=1.6 UD$ approx)the bellows is 65 GBP and the hard shade is 75 GBP .

Another outfit has this unit for $450. There package includes either bellows or hard shade, a screw or clamp adapter and the filter holder. You can buy a bellows or hardshade for an extra $80 US. For $530 US plus $30 shipping you get both the hard shade and bellows.
http://movie-house.com/DV/Pages/Kestrel.htm

The absolute best bag for the buck for a really decent mattebox is the cavision 3x3. For $200 US you can buy a rubber shaded matt box. The trays and the tray housing are aluminum and the back mount is plastic.The unit is 85mm clamp on. For smaller lens barrel diameters a $5 C ring is needed. For $250 US you can get a mattebox with an aluminum back mount. I've seen and played with this unit and it's great. Catherine the manager at cavision seems to think that P filters could be slotted into the 3x3 mattebox(without the tray)

It's limit is a .65 wide Angle adapter. Any wider and you will vignette.

Any questions feel free to email me.
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog