Little rubber bit. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old June 24th, 2003, 12:50 PM   #1
Wrangler

Little rubber bit.

For the life of me I can't remember and can not find the thread about the little rubber bit that goes between the camera body and the Viewfinder!!!

If anybody can point me in the right direction that would be wonderful.

Otherwise if somebody could tell me where abouts I place it that would also help.

I have had the camera for well over a year now, and I am getting fed up with the viewfinder becoming loose while i'm in the middle of a shoot.

Thanks in advanced,

Ed

Good things come to those who wait

My Skiing web www.Frostytour.co.uk

For quick answers Search dvinfo.net | The best in the business: dvinfo.net Sponsors
Ed Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2003, 03:46 AM   #2
Major Player

Hi Ed.

Just to be shure of what you are looking for, I remember two posts that can fit your question:

One that mentions a small washer that you can put in the screw so it does not become loose.

The other, is the System Isolator and you can look here: http://www.dvinfo.net/canon/articles/article45.php

Also, if you can, buy the Mini Mount from the same manufacturer (Light Wave Systems), it realy isolates the microphone from the camera mechanical noises.

Regards
Arnaldo Paixao
Arnaldo Paixao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2003, 04:48 AM   #3
Wrangler

Hi Arnaldo,

The light wave isolator looks interesting, although for the moment I want to see whether the "Rubber" will do what I want.

The rubber bit I talk of is like a washer and some how fits between the screw and the viewfinder. This bit of rubber came with the XL1.

thanks,

Ed Smith

For quick answers Search dvinfo.net | The best in the business: dvinfo.net Sponsors
Old June 25th, 2003, 04:54 AM   #4
Wrangler

Please forgive my stupidity.

I now see (I think) where it is placed.
It looks like it goes between the "NUT" you tighten and the bit of metal that sticks out and holds the viewfinder mounting.

Has anyone got a diagram they could e-mail me of how it should look?

Cheers,

Ed

Old June 25th, 2003, 04:57 AM   #5
Major Player

Hi Ed.

If you ever want to buy the light wave isolator and cannot get it in England, go here:

www.gruppe3.de

Bought my stuff from them and they were very professional.

Regards
Arnaldo
Arnaldo Paixao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2003, 06:13 AM   #6
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Ed,

If you're talking about using a rubber washer to help keep the viewfinder assembly from becoming loose and sliding back and forth, any rubber washer will do the trick. I've got one on my XL1 now and it's done the trick.
Old June 26th, 2003, 11:42 AM   #7
Wrangler

I've got the washer which originally came with the camera. All I was wondering was where abouts I place it. This does not seem to be mentioned in the manual any where.

All the best,

Ed

Old June 26th, 2003, 05:27 PM   #8
Major Player

Or........

Go to a store that has large "O rings".
Find a size that fits over the threads, and bada-bing....no more loose viewfinder(s).

I use one on mine, but I never got the size since I custom fitted it in the store......so many people have asked this question, that now I'm sorry I didn't record the size of the O ring for future reference.

Hardware stores, and also speciality stores that sell compression type pipe fittings (swagelock, parker, etc.) usually sell the item you are looking for.

I picked up mine at the local Parker fitting store which is right around the corner from where I work. http://www.parker.com/tfd/
Old June 26th, 2003, 05:32 PM   #9
Wrangler

I just use a washer from a garden hose. It's bright green... I never lose it.

-Nori
Nori Wentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2003, 08:17 PM   #10
Slash Rules!

Careful if you take the viewfinder assembly apart (the part attached to the camera, not the part attached to the viewfinder). I don't know how, but somehow I snapped these two thin metal rods that help hold it all together.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog