Xl-1 Servicing & Software Update at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old March 2nd, 2002, 02:59 PM   #1
Major Player

Xl-1 Servicing & Software Update

I am thinking of sending in my XL-1 for servicin. As a club member it will cost $95.00. After reading Quantum Productions note, I wondered if his camera gave him any clues or did it seem ok? Mine doesn't seem to have any problems but I thought it could just use a good cleaning.

I called just about every dept. at Canon and they said there are no recalls and there has NEVER been any software updates or upgrades for the XL-1.

I hope if Chris Hurd reads this he can tell me if there is any upgrades and that Canon won't say so but if you send the XL-1 in they just do it but never mention it.

Ques. for Quantum: Whats a CFV and PCB ass'y

Thanks
Bruce
B. Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2002, 05:04 PM   #2
Major Player

Others will likely weigh-in on this, but I'm almost certain there have been software upgrades, particularly for the auto-focus lens.

PCB usually stands for Printed Circuit Board -- I won't venture a guess for CFV, although some inappropriate ideas pop onto mind!
Old March 2nd, 2002, 09:54 PM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

CVF is the color viewfinder.

Bruce, most likely you did not reach the right people at Canon USA. I know you said you tried every department but trust me it's a big corporation and it all depends on who you talk to and where. Most likely you did not speak to any of the tech reps in the video division, and I know most all of them personally.

There has been one recall, back in January of '98, as documented on my site, the XL1 Watchdog at www.dvinfo.net/xl1.htm -- this was shortly after the camera was first released and the recall added a noise reduction circuit to prevent the "vertical green lines" problem. But this is ancient history now and is on the site.

Among the various updates and upgrades that *indeed have been issued for the XL1 despite what they told you* was a hardware fix for the CVF sunburn problem, as documented on the Watchdog (in the EVF section -- CVF and EVF are interchangeable terms), and at least one 16x lens focus update.

The entire camera is software controlled. Sending it in for service is just like getting an oil change in your car, and you'll automatically get whatever software updates are available. Don't bother asking Canon about it, only the Service Dept. and the tech reps really know what's going on and there's no way you're going to get them on the phone. Just do it, and enjoy the improvements you'll find on your camera when you get it back. If you want to see what the documentation looks like, it's on the "XL1 Skinny" page on my site. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2002, 07:41 PM   #4
New Boot

Tech Reps

Chris,

"the tech reps in the video division, and I know most all of them personally."

Is there any you can get any of the tech reps to input their 2 cents worth on this forum?

Mike
Michael Page is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2002, 11:49 PM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

Canon USA employees are forbidden to post anywhere online due to corporate policy. I'm trying to convince them to reconsider.

Old March 5th, 2002, 06:54 PM   #6
Quantum Productions

Sorry, I was late on this post! Looks like a few answered for me! :)
Other than the obvious loose connection problem I had on my EVF cable, the softwear updates made a big difference to the way my lens focused. I would zoom into an object about 20ft or so away and get a good focus. On the way back zooming out there would be a few points where it would go out-of-focus and then in focus. Not just out of focus at the widest setting like a backfocus problem. Anyway, these so called softwear updates corrected this as I'm sure they did alot more after 2 years without servicing because my over all picture is sharper and clearer. I looked at some older footage and compared and I could see the difference at roughly the same settings/location.
Old March 5th, 2002, 07:06 PM   #7
Quantum Productions

While we're all on the topic...sort of....

I sent my camera in it's original box and packaging. I paided Purolator (Canada) the extra insurance just in case it became damaged during shipping. It cost me alot because of the size of the box, not the weight! About $170can.! That was just one way! I'm not sure if Canon covers the total cost during shipping back but they did send it back prepaided. I was thinking for next time, to custom make a good, protected box that would carry just the body, EVF, mic and lens.
What do some of you people do? I hate to ship it and take a chance without insurance.
Old March 5th, 2002, 10:40 PM   #8
Obstreperous Rex

If you have no appropriate shipping container for your XL1 and need to send it in for service, you can arrange for Canon USA to send you one ahead of time... another perk of the Canon USA Owner's Club. Don't know if that's available in other countries or not.

Old March 6th, 2002, 12:02 AM   #9
Major Player

The original factory box that the XL-1 came in has pretty good protection. The actual shipping box was overkill. I got a shipping box slightly larger than the camera box from one of the "mailbox" places, and shipped only the body, EVF & lens. It cost around $34 US for 2nd day FedEx from Seattle to California. Not too bad.

I got a note that says they're going to replace the drum, so I hope that cures the banding problems I'd been plagued with for some time. Along with the tune-up and cleaning, I'm expecting a "new" camera to arrive.
Old March 6th, 2002, 03:01 AM   #10
Quantum Productions

Canon Club is not avaliable in Canada unfortunately....
Old March 8th, 2002, 07:00 PM   #11
Major Player

Just a comment on Canon's quick service. I faxed my repair authorization to Canon on Monday, and today the camera was on my doorstep. It's hard to find fault with that kind of turn-around! Looks like a new camera inside and out. They replaced the drum and a couple of other parts, plus cleaned it and did all updates. Now the test, to see if my "banding" problem went away. If the camera works as well as the service, I'm home free (sort of...).
Old March 9th, 2002, 07:14 AM   #12
Major Player

Drum Replacement

Vic, I was also impressed with the fast turn-around when Canon replaced the drum assy in mine a few weeks ago. Unfortunately the banding problem was still there. Before sending it back, I decided to try retensioning the tapes before use, something I hadn't done with previous tapes. After doing so, the problem has *almost* completely disappeared. I shot about 10 hours last weekend and noticed only one banding glitch during post. Previously I was getting several such glitches in every tape, even after the drum was replaced.
Old March 9th, 2002, 09:04 AM   #13
Major Player

Uh, Oh.....I didn't want to hear that. By retensioning, I presume you did a FFW and RW before running the tape? Thanks....

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog