Problems with tape mechanism at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old July 7th, 2003, 10:06 AM   #1
Wrangler

Problems with tape mechanism

XL1 camera tape mechanism clicks repeatedly sometimes when a tape is loaded. It certainly was not there when I bought the camera (18 months ago) and has only started to appear in the last couple of months. I have also noticed that the tape heads are getting quite dirty even though I am cleaning the heads every time I use it for a shoot. Another thing, if I have accidentally left a tape in the camera for a couple of days and I try to eject it won't let me. When it does, the tape is normally screwed.

I feel it might be time to send in for a service. Any idea how much this will cost in the UK? I only use it for a couple of big shoots a year and is mainly stored in a Seal Tight case in a cool cupboard.

Any help appreciated?

Thanks,

Ed Smith

Good things come to those who wait

My Skiing web www.Frostytour.co.uk

For quick answers Search dvinfo.net | The best in the business: dvinfo.net Sponsors
Ed Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2003, 11:32 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Sounds like a service issue to me, Ed. Perhaps you can ring Canon UK and advise us of what the estimated repair cost is? Thanks,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2003, 10:57 PM   #3
New Boot

I can't imagine how you could need to clean the heads and how they are getting that dirty if you only use the camera once or twice a year for a "big shoot".

What brand of tapes are you using? My friend who is a full time videographer and shoots everyday with his xl1 uses only sony tapes and has never had to clean his heads or had any problem with the camera or the tape transport.

I have an xl1s and only use sony tapes also. No problems so far.
Sony was the choice because of availability. One other full time videographer friend uses sony or panasonic or tdk and never in over one year of shooting with a gl1 has he had any problem.

IMHO keep all tapes clean before you put them into the camera.
If you pause a long time while the head is spining waiting for the moment you press the record button you can heat and stretch the tape. Do not leave the tape in the camera as it remains wrapped around the head and can take a set, especially if it was on pause for a long time before you stopped it.

My wife has two persian cats so cat hair in the camera is a constant concern. I use a small vac as blowing the dust and hair off will only force it into the tapes. The tape has an electrostatic charge and will pull dust and dirt out of the air and onto the tape.

Good luck and let us know how things work out.

Ciao, Brian
Brian Boals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2003, 07:38 AM   #4
Wrangler

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your replies.

Chris - I'll phone Canon UK when I have the time in the next week or so.

Brian - By couple of times I mean about 48 hours use possibly double that a year. Not taking into consideration dumping material into my PC and exporting out. I use the sony tapes and sometimes Panasonic 80min tapes. Don't use any other. I also use a TDK dry head cleaner.

Any one else come across this problem?

Cheers,

Ed

For quick answers Search dvinfo.net | The best in the business: dvinfo.net Sponsors
Ed Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2003, 08:53 AM   #5
Wrangler

Well...

I sent an e-mail to an authorised Canon Service repair agent, and they came back with a quote of between £150-£250. Mind you they did not mention labour charges, VAT or Parts. Obivously, its also subject to inspection

Would people say thats a good price?

Thanks,

Ed

Ed Smith is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog