Buying a used XL1s at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old July 13th, 2003, 02:44 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Buying a used XL1s

Any pitfalls I should be looking for in buying a used cameral? The seller has agreed to go through Escrow.com (in my experience the best of the escrow services). What should I be looking for aside from esterior condition? I have the means to capture and output from the Xl's various ports etc, anything i'm missing? I don't want to be lulled into a lemon, but the Escrow service has put me at ease big time especially since i'm hip to all of the little net scams (i.e. build your own escrow site etc) I figure four days is sufficient to ensure the camera is in good working order. Also, does the XL1s have a log that will tell me useage time on the heads, i'm trying to find it in the manual as i type.
Greg Bates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2003, 03:24 PM   #2
Skyonic New York

...Also, does the XL1s have a log that will tell me useage time on the heads, i'm trying to find it in the manual as i type.....

No, but what you might want to do after you buy is send it to canon to take a look at anyway, they can re-align it for you and do other service things...

ask what brand of tape was used, it might be a good idea to head clean it once, also a great indicator of wear and tear on the xl1:
obvious see if the paint is coming off any of the letters
make sure plastic isn't shiny where it's not suppose to be...

but then again these are cosmetic features only a tech can tell if the drum is cool or not, which goes back to my original statement...
Robert Mann Z. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2003, 03:55 AM   #3
Wrangler

Used gear via the web is always a crap shoot. Electronic stuff is often OK, but items with mechanical/moving parts can be a source of problems.

The best advice is to send it to Canon for service (that will cost soem money). Some checks you can do - do the usual DOA tests for any gear (Discussed in threads here long ago). Some other check in addition to those mentioned above.
Does it rercord and playback?
Can you zoom, focus, adjust exposure with gain, iris and shutter speed?
Do all of the digital effects work?
To the handle controls work?
Do all functiosn on the remote control work?
Do all audio channels and audio controls work OK?
Is back focus OK?
Is the include MIC OK?
Does auto focus work?
If you have the seller's ID, browse/search the various XL1 forums and news groups to see if the seller appears with any gripes, questions, that might shed additional light on camcorder condition, history or how they used it.
Old July 30th, 2003, 04:36 PM   #4
Regular Crew

My recommendation would be as follows:

If you must buy a used camera go to a reputable dealer for used equipment...

Here in the northeast, for example, BHVideo.com I am sure they will offer some sort of warratee and you can also buy extended with people like Mack.

"One must always be careful and trust with one's eyes opened," is my motto.
Virginia Benedict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2003, 05:43 PM   #5
Air China Pilot

//My recommendation would be as follows:

If you must buy a used camera go to a reputable dealer for used equipment...//

I guess those of us who own our XL1S and might want to sell it in the future are just out of luck?
Old July 31st, 2003, 09:15 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Your point is well taken and valid, Keith.

However, I look at it from two different options...

1. If one has to worry about the honesty of the seller and/or the condition of the equipment: Is it worth taking the risk?

2. Personally, if I was going to upgrade my equipment:

a) I would go first to a couple of BHVideo type resources and price the trade in value.

b) If selling to an individual creates a win win and there was a seamless situation, then by all means...

As I stated: Trust with one's eyes wide opened.

and I may add: Always trust your instincts!

There are lots of good honest people out there...
Virginia Benedict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2003, 09:16 PM   #7
Wrangler

I've purchased both my XL1's and about 80% of my DV equipment used, from private sellers from DVinfo and other reputable avenues, and am very happy with every transaction so far. However, I pick and choose the people I deal with based on their reputation. I've never been dissapointed yet.

This obviously excludes Ebay.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog