How much for a used XL1s with worn out heads? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old July 5th, 2008, 06:12 PM   #1
Tourist

How much for a used XL1s with worn out heads?

I want to buy this camera from a friend, it has a lot of hours on it so the heads are worn out. What would be a fair price for this camera?
Steve Swanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2008, 06:13 AM   #2
Wrangler

Quote:
I want to buy this camera from a friend,
Check E-Bay prices, especially recently completed sales, then deduct a bit for known condition (maybe $500???).

Keep in mind that the XL1s is a bit long in the tooth and approaching the end of factory service availability before long.

Do not expect much, if you do, it cam put friendship at some risk.
Old July 6th, 2008, 06:25 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Dear Steve,

What indications do you have that the heads are worn out?
Old July 6th, 2008, 11:04 AM   #4
Major Player

Find out the total cost for head replacement and add that to the sale price and see how it compares.
John Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2008, 01:14 PM   #5
Trustee

I second Dan's question. I thought mine were shot, the cleaning tape wasn't doing its thing. I was about to send it in, but lent it to a friend with the caveat that he would have to let the tape roll a little first to get past the broken timecode problems I was having. He went out and got a little off brand cleaning tape (I had a sony or something, he got a zynex one) and ran it before the shoot (I told him it would help, but not solve the problems). It solved the problem. On the off chance, I ran it in the little JVC camera I was using as a deck and had written off as a usable camera and it restored it to full functionality.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog