flickering brightness with camera movement? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old August 10th, 2008, 12:24 PM   #1
Trustee

flickering brightness with camera movement?

On our latest shoot, we had a dolly shot on a sidewalk. When we reviewed the footage, it flickered as we made the move :( Any thoughts as to what would cause this...or am I just looking at expensive canon service?

(I fixed it with a plug in from a friend that averages brightness of the first few frames and locks to that for the rest of the clip http://www.oakstreetsoftware.com/ Not sure if he's selling that product, but he has a keyer that's good and easy to use too :) Had to pimp his stuff cause he saved our opening shot in the last 48 hour competition)
Old August 10th, 2008, 02:05 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Dear Cole,

Were you in manual mode?

What was the gain setting?

I would not have expected any flickering in full manual.
Old August 11th, 2008, 02:00 PM   #3
Trustee

In Manual, gain on -3... doesn't feel like auto brightness/gain adjustments to me at all. That would be smoother, this is more like a frame to frame (almost like old film flicker - there's the "Film Look" that everyone is searching for ;) ). Electronics wise, I would call it a loose connection, but I don't think that applies here. It's not necessarily on or off, it's lighter and darker, but not all or nothing as I would expect a loose wire to cause.
Old August 11th, 2008, 02:56 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Dear Cole,

Were there any bright shinny reflective objects visible in the footage.

I could imagine a very shinny object reflecting the sun into the camera, but it may change as you move the camera on the dolly.
Old August 12th, 2008, 10:47 AM   #5
Trustee

nope, it's a full frame flicker on the opening shot of this short:

http://www.yafiunderground.com/Video/EC-web.mov

You won't see it there, but it'll show you the shot. I always shoot on manual, so it shouldn't be shifting, gain not on auto, audio not on auto... auto is the devil.

Brightness averaging fixed the shot for us... and I don't have the footage to show you broken :( I'll try to get hold of it to show you the difference, it's on our teams editing computer (which is still in our HQ as we didn't tear it down after the competition - sitting sad and dormant :( ).

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog