XL-1 Audio question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old March 19th, 2002, 08:50 PM   #1
Regular Crew

XL-1 Audio question

Can anyone tell me if I can use the supplied mic
on my XL-1 and the MA-100 with a wireless mic plugged in via xlr at the same time? I've tried this but I can only get one or the other to work no both at the same time.
John Dimasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2002, 09:33 PM   #2
Major Player

You should be able to run the MA-100 into the Audio 2 inputs on the camera. You'll need to be in the 12-bit audio mode to do this.
Old March 20th, 2002, 06:03 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Vic,
I have the Xlr MA-100 plugged into the Audio 2 jacks on the handle and have the camera set to 12 bit 1,2 audio. I also have audio 2 on the camera menu set to mic but I still only get the mini jack on camera mic or the wireless but not both at the same time. I'm monitoring with headphones and all I hear is one or the other never both mics. What settings should I be using or is this impossible.
Old March 20th, 2002, 09:01 PM   #4
Major Player

My first thought was that you'd plugged into the wrong jacks -- sounds like you're in the (correct) ones on the side of the handle. You should be able to press the Audio Monitor button (above the meter light button), and alternately monitor either Audio 1 or Audio 2. You won't monitor both in your headphones (or on the meter) at the same time, but both should record on the tape. Another detail -- make sure you have the MA-100 power plug inserted in the Audio 1 panel.

I just verified it on my XL-1 -- worked fine.

Last edited by Vic Owen; March 20th, 2002 at 09:14 PM.
Vic Owen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2002, 09:27 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Vic,
Thanks a million! I would have never figured out using the audio monitor switch would solve my problem. Thanks again
Old March 21st, 2002, 07:44 PM   #6
Wrangler

When in 12-bit/4-channel mode, XL1 should offer a ST1, ST2, or MIX option for audio monitor. In camera mode mixed is fixed at 1:1 ratio, in VCR mode it can be fixed ratio or adjusted. See page 39 of the XL1 manual.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog