Single-system VS double-system SOUND at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old March 21st, 2002, 03:57 AM   #1
ellett62

Single-system VS double-system SOUND

Hi Everyone

I have bought a Canon XL-1, and am debating whether to shoot single-system (i.e. plug mics directly into camera) OR double-system (record sound on portable DAT recorder, completely separating mics from camera).

I hesitate going the easier route of single-system because I want a highly mobile camera, and cords connecting camera to the mics will affect movement.

What are your suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
Phillip
Old March 21st, 2002, 07:34 PM   #2
Wrangler

If you wan tthe mobility and quality of DAT, then I suggest both. Feed a wireless signal to the camera (which will be of somewhat lower quality thanks to the wireless link), maybe from your DAT feed to the wireless transmitter, and have your DAT for the highest quality. That way the camera sound is a backup if the DAT dies, and in any caspe provides additional queues for lip sync.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2002, 08:52 PM   #3
ellett62

Thanks for the advice. A related question: any difference between DAT and mini-disc in sound quality? I've read that the mini-disc is not as full a sound as DAT. What do others think?

Thanks.
Phillip
Old March 21st, 2002, 10:50 PM   #4
Major Player

I haven't used a DAT for comparison, but the Sony mini-disk I've used sounds just as good as the classical and opera CDs I've dubbed onto it.
Old March 22nd, 2002, 06:10 PM   #5
Wrangler

DAT is typically 48 KHz sample rate, 16-bit depth. MiniDisc is 44.1 KHz sample rate, 16-bit depth, with 5:1 copmpression. A few 'golden ears' can hear the difference between MiniDisc and CD with certain types of program material, most people cannot. DAT is potentially better, but a medocre mic or other field conditions could cancel out the advantage, and DAT is a lot more expensive. Its your call. Visit a professional sound shop and see if they have systems you can audition.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2002, 02:05 AM   #6
Regular Crew

MD vs. DAT

Phillip,

Vic & dpalomaki hit it right on. As a user of MD since the mid-90's, I was almost offended by what some of the gurus at "MIX Magazine" had to say about the quality of Mini-Disc. But as a musician, I have been very pleased with the quality I have gotten from MD. Just be careful of your levels. DO NOT clip over 100% VU or you will not be happy with the results. Otherwise, I think it is a viable (and much cheaper) alternative to DAT.

Bill
Bill Markel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog