Bottom line on lenses for XL1/s at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old August 29th, 2003, 01:48 PM   #1
New Boot

Bottom line on lenses for XL1/s

Out of all the XL1 lenses within a reasonable price range, which is the best lens for obtaining a slightly better film look than the standard 16X IS II that comes with the camera?

I've found with good lighting and camerawork the standard lens is very good, but lacks that 35mm look. Any suggestions from personal experience?
C.J. Cookson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2003, 02:20 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Lens preference

CJ,
I have permanently retired the 16XIS II lens that came with my XL1 and replaced it with the 16X Manual lens. When I bought my XL1S I ordered it with the 16X Manual lens. I also have a Canon 3X wide zoom for each camera but they will be replaced as soon as a 3X manual lens is available. I find that the finer control over focus and zoom afforded by the manual lenses more than makes up for the added cost.
Mike Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2003, 02:21 PM   #3
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

No such thing.

If you want the look of film lenses then you'll have to use 35mm film lenses. That is, you would need to get a Mini35 adapter and a set of prime lenses. This would likely cost (much) more than twice what your camera cost, but it can produce some good results.

Do a Search on the Mini35, as there has been quite a bit written on it here.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2003, 10:01 AM   #4
New Boot

16X lens?

As the 16X lens is within the price range, can I just ask if it produces a better look than the standard lens?
Old August 30th, 2003, 02:14 PM   #5
Major Player

<<If you want the look of film lenses then you'll have to use 35mm film lenses. That is, you would need to get a Mini35 adapter and a set of prime lenses. This would likely cost (much) more than twice what your camera cost, but it can produce some good results. >>

Ken, I just want to clarify that you don't need to invest in "film" lenses as far as traditional cine primes are concerned. I've been working exclusively with a set of Nikon primes with the Mini35 and the results are optically equivalent, and you can buy a full se of the fastest Nikon primes for not much more than the tax dollars on a single Cooke Ultra Prime. Also, due to vignetting, cine zooms are not a good idea with the Mini35.
Jim Giberti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2003, 05:58 PM   #6
Warden

I think the two manual lenses are slightly sharper than the XL 16 IS. If you're asking do the manual lenses have a bokeh more similar to film, I'd say maybe slightly. The DOF on all these lenses (with1/3 inch chips) is too great to really look like 35mm film. The mini 35 goes a long way towards achieving your desired goal

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2003, 10:29 PM   #7
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Jim, thank you for the clarification. Indeed, good 35mm prime lenses are adequate to achieve the "film look" optical characteristics with the Mini35 adapter. Cooke primes or other cine-specific primes might well be overkill for this rig.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2003, 03:20 AM   #8
New Boot

Thanks!

Thanks for the advice.. I think I'll check into the Mini35 adapter and see how much the 35m prime lenses are from Nikon etc.
Old August 31st, 2003, 01:58 PM   #9
Major Player

<<Cooke primes or other cine-specific primes might well be overkill for this rig.
>>

This is what Guy (the tech guru for the Mini35) and I came to in our discussion of the ultimate resolving power of the XL1s vs the potential resolution of cine primes vs Nkon primes.
Jim Giberti is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog