quiet audio at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old March 25th, 2002, 12:40 AM   #1
Regular Crew

quiet audio

I recently worked on a project where I was using a Senn ME66 shotgun mike with the K6 capsule. I was using it with an MA-100 and the mike was on a boom about 3 feet above the actors. If I play back the sound direct from the XL-1 it sounds great. Little or no background noise, good volume, etc.

When I get to Premiere the sound is barely audible even with the gain and mixer at max. Ideas?

Also when I was shooting I found that I had to turn the dials to max and the headphone monitor to max just to hear what I was shooting.

i gotta be missing something.

David
David Mesloh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2002, 03:57 PM   #2
Wrangler

I experience the same "lack" of volume from my headphone out as well! What's the deal with that anyway?
Nori Wentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2002, 07:23 PM   #3
Wrangler

Did you set the Audio 1 inputs to operate at MIC level? (You do this from the menu.) The input may default to consumer line level input, which is about 45 dB below MIC level and 25 dB below MIC ATT20 level.

You should see the audio level peaking around the -6 or so level on the XL1 VU meter.

Some headphones are not very sensitive, and the XL1 cannot drive them adequately even with normal recorded sound levels. If the meter levels are normal, you should to check the headphone specifications.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2002, 08:55 PM   #4
Regular Crew

After I posted this thread I had this stupid suspicion that I set for line and not mic. Freekin'.......duh. Now my brain hurts. Oh well....pays to make yourself a little checklist.

Also I read in another thread that some headphones need serious power to work well. Since the XL-1 isn't like a stereo amplifier I can see that could be a problem.

Thanks guys.

David
David Mesloh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2002, 02:47 AM   #5
Quantum Productions

I had the same problems as well. New headphones made the difference. Some need alot of power to drive them and some don't. Just test them out when you buy them and get a set that sounds the loudest. I use my headphone volume at the half way mark! It's almost too loud some times. They also block out surrounding sounds as well.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog