scenario at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old March 25th, 2002, 10:24 AM   #1
Regular Crew

scenario

shoot a high school play with xl1s with standard lens 16x on a tripod located a a distance had to use zoom almost at max had varizoom 4" lcd monitor, which still makes it hard to make a judjement call as far as brightness ect, and zebra set at 90, lighting was not optimal as it was kind of dim no spot lights were used,
gain was in auto, i think at +8 due to the poor lightning, noticed the whites had zebras on them , viewed video after the fact and definetly the whites are really blown out also the actors faces , but if i had adjusted so no zebras were apparent then video would have been really too dark, didnt want to take a chance at that, there was some apparent signal noise in the blacks to start with.(shutter at 1/60, lens oppening was 2.4)

anyone have any advice in such a situation?
Old March 25th, 2002, 10:54 AM   #2

better lighting to fill the shadows
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2002, 03:05 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Re: Zebras

George,

This probably wouldn't have helped much in this situation, but in general, you may want to change your zebra setting to 80. When I first got my camera, I had them set higher and and I was getting washed out faces.

On the TV shows I work on, we generally "shade" the cameras at between 75 and 80% on the talent's faces. Anything higher starts to bloom. Having a few zebras present @ 80 is a fair warning that you're at the limit. Faces are where you really need to be careful.

It's amazing how bad lighting really makes a difference.

Hope this helps.

Bill
Bill Markel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2002, 07:31 PM   #4
Wrangler

Perhaps expose for the important highlights (faces) and then try pullout the shadow detail in post by adjusting gamma.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2002, 12:20 PM   #5
Regular Crew

zebrahs suck

it is not adviced to use zebra stripes for light evaluation, the best way to light is to rate your camera at a certain ASA, then light your subject with a certain amount of footcandles to get an 18% grey. then choose your lighting ratio (5:1 for example) wich means that for example i have 200 footcandles as key light i would have to light the fill side with 40 footcandles to get this 5:1 ratio.
Bryan Johannes Onel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog