DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   2 Problems with my XL1s..NEED HELP! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/142243-2-problems-my-xl1s-need-help.html)

Michael Krumlauf January 23rd, 2009 06:37 PM

2 Problems with my XL1s..NEED HELP!

Hello DVi,

My XL1s recently began to eat my tapes while having the camera run in VCR mode. It would eat the tapes upon playback, or rewinding, but more when i tried rewinding the camera. Sometimes it even snarfs up those poor tapes when i try to record something!!!!! I am unable to use the camera because of this problem. Is this something i need to have fixed by sending it in and if so where would i send it.....are there any places in Chicago that can repair it?

My second problem is my camera can not get picked up by Final Cut Pro 5 via firewire on my iMac, yet my powerbook G4 handles it fine. My editing suite is the iMac NOT the powerbook so i can not use it for capturing. Do you know what might be causing this?

Thanks,
Mike

Cole McDonald January 23rd, 2009 07:23 PM

It'll be a service thing (eaten tapes are normally due to the rubber rollers in the tape feed mechanism deteriorating over time and use). This thread has info on the club that as an XL member you might be a member of.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/canon-xl-...xl-1-club.html

Michael Krumlauf January 24th, 2009 12:35 AM

Thanks Cole :)....would you by chance know why my camera wont work with Final Cut????

Mike

Cole McDonald January 25th, 2009 12:09 AM

Is your iMac an intel base machine? If so, I'm not sure that I can help you trouble shoot the thing (although I'll give it a good go :) ). I don't have an intel to test with currently. What version of FCP? Do you have any other programs (like iMovie) that you can see if they can see it? What are the specific symptoms you're experiencing?

Don Palomaki January 25th, 2009 07:40 AM

Search the threads for final cut. The question has come up in the past, and there may be an answer. On the Windows side, the issues typically have related to having the correct driver version, or the sequence of operations to ensure handshaking is established.

Eating tapes consistently in playback, but only occasionally in record mode, is a bit unusual. Could be aging idler rubber or improper torque on the take-up reels. Sounds like servicing may be in order. While a long shot, take a close look to be sure nothing foreign has entered the tape compartment first. Sometimes a total system reset (remove all batteries for several minutes can help, but again, that is a long shot.

Chris Hurd January 25th, 2009 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Krumlauf (Post 999944)
Is this something i need to have fixed by sending it in...

In all honesty, Michael, the wise thing to do would be to replace the XL1S with a much newer camera.

Michael Krumlauf January 25th, 2009 04:43 PM

Thanks for the feedback.....Chris, i dont have the money to just go out and buy a new camera. I still love my XL1s, and am not ready to just flat out give it up.

Don Palomaki January 25th, 2009 07:56 PM

Just a note: The XL1s was replaced by the XL2 nearly 5 years ago. Assured factory service will probably end in less than 3 years. Time to start to save the pennies.

Michael Krumlauf January 26th, 2009 01:36 PM

Yes, i have an intel mac......are the XL1s and XL1 cameras not supported on Intel Mac machines?

Michael Krumlauf January 27th, 2009 10:34 AM

Just a follow up question i had about my camera eating the tapes.....

...Would a Head Cleaning Tape fix my problem?

Don Palomaki January 27th, 2009 07:02 PM

A head cleaning tape will remove deposits from heads and the tape path that may be causing banding in the playback image.

However, a cleaning tape is very unlikely to address "eating of tapes." But you can try if you like. Just be prepared for the cleaning tape to be "eaten," and run your tests on tapes you can afford to have "eaten."

My experience with other tape transports including VCRs and cassette players is that eating tape usually is the result of some mechanical failing or obstruction wherein the take-up reel is not operating properly (e.g., insufficient torque), or the tape loading/unloading mechanism is not operating properly.