2 Problems with my XL1s..NEED HELP! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old January 23rd, 2009, 06:37 PM   #1
Regular Crew

2 Problems with my XL1s..NEED HELP!

Hello DVi,

My XL1s recently began to eat my tapes while having the camera run in VCR mode. It would eat the tapes upon playback, or rewinding, but more when i tried rewinding the camera. Sometimes it even snarfs up those poor tapes when i try to record something!!!!! I am unable to use the camera because of this problem. Is this something i need to have fixed by sending it in and if so where would i send it.....are there any places in Chicago that can repair it?

My second problem is my camera can not get picked up by Final Cut Pro 5 via firewire on my iMac, yet my powerbook G4 handles it fine. My editing suite is the iMac NOT the powerbook so i can not use it for capturing. Do you know what might be causing this?

Thanks,
Mike
Old January 23rd, 2009, 07:23 PM   #2
Trustee

It'll be a service thing (eaten tapes are normally due to the rubber rollers in the tape feed mechanism deteriorating over time and use). This thread has info on the club that as an XL member you might be a member of.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/canon-xl-...xl-1-club.html
Old January 24th, 2009, 12:35 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Cole :)....would you by chance know why my camera wont work with Final Cut????

Mike
Old January 25th, 2009, 12:09 AM   #4
Trustee

Is your iMac an intel base machine? If so, I'm not sure that I can help you trouble shoot the thing (although I'll give it a good go :) ). I don't have an intel to test with currently. What version of FCP? Do you have any other programs (like iMovie) that you can see if they can see it? What are the specific symptoms you're experiencing?
Old January 25th, 2009, 07:40 AM   #5
Wrangler

Search the threads for final cut. The question has come up in the past, and there may be an answer. On the Windows side, the issues typically have related to having the correct driver version, or the sequence of operations to ensure handshaking is established.

Eating tapes consistently in playback, but only occasionally in record mode, is a bit unusual. Could be aging idler rubber or improper torque on the take-up reels. Sounds like servicing may be in order. While a long shot, take a close look to be sure nothing foreign has entered the tape compartment first. Sometimes a total system reset (remove all batteries for several minutes can help, but again, that is a long shot.
Old January 25th, 2009, 11:16 AM   #6
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Krumlauf View Post
Is this something i need to have fixed by sending it in...
In all honesty, Michael, the wise thing to do would be to replace the XL1S with a much newer camera.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2009, 04:43 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks for the feedback.....Chris, i dont have the money to just go out and buy a new camera. I still love my XL1s, and am not ready to just flat out give it up.
Old January 25th, 2009, 07:56 PM   #8
Wrangler

Just a note: The XL1s was replaced by the XL2 nearly 5 years ago. Assured factory service will probably end in less than 3 years. Time to start to save the pennies.
Old January 26th, 2009, 01:36 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Yes, i have an intel mac......are the XL1s and XL1 cameras not supported on Intel Mac machines?
Old January 27th, 2009, 10:34 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Just a follow up question i had about my camera eating the tapes.....

...Would a Head Cleaning Tape fix my problem?
Old January 27th, 2009, 07:02 PM   #11
Wrangler

A head cleaning tape will remove deposits from heads and the tape path that may be causing banding in the playback image.

However, a cleaning tape is very unlikely to address "eating of tapes." But you can try if you like. Just be prepared for the cleaning tape to be "eaten," and run your tests on tapes you can afford to have "eaten."

My experience with other tape transports including VCRs and cassette players is that eating tape usually is the result of some mechanical failing or obstruction wherein the take-up reel is not operating properly (e.g., insufficient torque), or the tape loading/unloading mechanism is not operating properly.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog