What does an XL1 usually go for these days? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old February 18th, 2009, 11:34 PM   #1
New Boot

What does an XL1 usually go for these days?

My local pawnshop is selling on for 1200 canadian dollars (around 950 US dollars)

Is that a good deal?

They also have a GL2 for 900 canadian (around 700 US)

I have a DVX100B currently but wouldn't mind buying the XL1 or the GL2 and then selling them on ebay for a higher price as I'm kind of short for money right now. What's the price for a used one of each of those cameras these days?
John Adamczyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2009, 12:37 AM   #2
Major Player

It's probably a good deal for the pawn shop. The last Canon XL1S rolled off the assembly line in 2004 or so... It cost $5000 brand new. A lot has changed in the past 5 years.
Eric Darling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2009, 09:11 AM   #3
New Boot

So how much does an XL1/XL1s go for?
John Adamczyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2009, 09:17 AM   #4
Major Player

As a used item, it will necessarily depend on condition and market. There's not too much of a market these days, since better cameras can be had for well less than the original cost of the XL1S. The short answer is that it's worth what you're willing to pay for it. If I was in your position, I doubt I'd be tempted to spend more than $500.

You can use eBay's completed items search tool to see ones that have recently sold there. I found one that sold two days ago for $800.
Eric Darling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2009, 11:19 PM   #5
Wrangler

I'd put the average going price for an XL1 at $1000usd... and unless you eBay it, it might take months to sell (mine did). You *MIGHT* make $200 on it locally, but it's not worth it for the time/risk. After all, electronics from pawn shops aren't exactly from professional users who baby them... There's no margin of error if anything goes wrong. Pass on it.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog