DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   xl1s & 100-400l series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/1465-xl1s-100-400l-series.html)

Rick Banfield March 31st, 2002 02:32 PM

xl1s & 100-400l series

Well I have finally done it. Bought 100-400L Zoom for XL1s.
Camera is relatively new. Had 3 field trips tho.
My interest is Wildlife particulary Sambar Deer here in Victoria Australia.
Comments..The same problems as per many others I think.I am very disappointed in the lack of ability of my camera with stock lens & 100-400 to cope with sunlight contrast. Has anyone been able to solve this satisfactorily? Footage is great in tree canopy or just before sun comes up & down. (I have come from a Canon EX1 with Std+ 250 mirror lens). Disappointed as with others with "soft focus" & the funny internal zooming system. The focus is better with the EOS.
Have mounted by camera only on miller tripod DS20 & holds fine. Had to make a new top attachment point for carrying. Put bolt & loop in hole opposite handle..much better. Had also bought Manfrotto 503 head but will not hold cam & big lens in place. The 100-400 lens holder has no locater pin hole in mount..will have to drill if I decide to mount by lens.
Viewfinder kept coming loose & sliding across...put rubber washer in there,& no more problems.
Bought a 6" LCD active matrix screen for a car installation & the picture is great for a monitor. They have come down in price a lot. This cost Aus $420.00..pocket money in$US!
Thank you everyone for help prior to purchase & if I can be of help I will.
Rick Banfield.

Andrew Leigh April 5th, 2002 11:35 PM

Hi Rick,

what 6" LCD did you get ?
how is the refresh rate ?
where did you get it as the price looks good. We in S.A. have the same problem. Our currency makes anything purchased in $US extremely expensive.

I bought a Citizen 3" a while back but it is useless, the refressh rate is so poor that when panning all one sees is blur.

Regards
Andrew

Rick Banfield April 7th, 2002 08:33 AM

LCD MONITOR

Andrew,

The monitor is "made in China!" Refresh rate is good, and is described as TFT LCD COLOUR MONITOR, and is active screen and great value. I too tried citizen thing. I have model LEE-561LM which has one channel video,& one channel audio input. I bought form Autobarn, a car accessory franchise here in Australia, and is being sold for car video.
Regards,
Rick Banfield

Adrian Douglas April 7th, 2002 09:26 AM

Rick did you discover the monitor as you were crusing for a new 6" exhaust tip for your WRX

Andrew Leigh April 7th, 2002 12:30 PM

Thanks Rick

Andrew

Steve Nunez April 8th, 2002 06:08 PM

Canon 75-300 USM III lens

....i'm thrilled with the results with the Canon 75-300mm USM III lens and the EF adapter- video is extremly sharp and contrast is very good (even at 300mm it's pretty good)...it's sharper than the stock lens - biggest problem is no image stabilization....but tripod footage is great....the lens was $199 and has surpassed my expectations- anyone wanting to try long range video with a small budget has got to try this lens- works great!

( with multiplier- range is 540mm-2160mm !!)