xl1s & 100-400l series at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old March 31st, 2002, 02:32 PM   #1
Regular Crew

xl1s & 100-400l series

Well I have finally done it. Bought 100-400L Zoom for XL1s.
Camera is relatively new. Had 3 field trips tho.
My interest is Wildlife particulary Sambar Deer here in Victoria Australia.
Comments..The same problems as per many others I think.I am very disappointed in the lack of ability of my camera with stock lens & 100-400 to cope with sunlight contrast. Has anyone been able to solve this satisfactorily? Footage is great in tree canopy or just before sun comes up & down. (I have come from a Canon EX1 with Std+ 250 mirror lens). Disappointed as with others with "soft focus" & the funny internal zooming system. The focus is better with the EOS.
Have mounted by camera only on miller tripod DS20 & holds fine. Had to make a new top attachment point for carrying. Put bolt & loop in hole opposite handle..much better. Had also bought Manfrotto 503 head but will not hold cam & big lens in place. The 100-400 lens holder has no locater pin hole in mount..will have to drill if I decide to mount by lens.
Viewfinder kept coming loose & sliding across...put rubber washer in there,& no more problems.
Bought a 6" LCD active matrix screen for a car installation & the picture is great for a monitor. They have come down in price a lot. This cost Aus $420.00..pocket money in$US!
Thank you everyone for help prior to purchase & if I can be of help I will.
Rick Banfield.
Rick Banfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2002, 11:35 PM   #2
Major Player

Hi Rick,

what 6" LCD did you get ?
how is the refresh rate ?
where did you get it as the price looks good. We in S.A. have the same problem. Our currency makes anything purchased in $US extremely expensive.

I bought a Citizen 3" a while back but it is useless, the refressh rate is so poor that when panning all one sees is blur.

Regards
Andrew
Andrew Leigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2002, 08:33 AM   #3
Regular Crew

LCD MONITOR

Andrew,

The monitor is "made in China!" Refresh rate is good, and is described as TFT LCD COLOUR MONITOR, and is active screen and great value. I too tried citizen thing. I have model LEE-561LM which has one channel video,& one channel audio input. I bought form Autobarn, a car accessory franchise here in Australia, and is being sold for car video.
Regards,
Rick Banfield
Rick Banfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2002, 09:26 AM   #4
Trustee

Rick did you discover the monitor as you were crusing for a new 6" exhaust tip for your WRX
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2002, 12:30 PM   #5
Major Player

Thanks Rick

Andrew

TOTAL AMATEUR - DOING IT FOR THE FUN
Andrew Leigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2002, 06:08 PM   #6
Trustee

Canon 75-300 USM III lens

....i'm thrilled with the results with the Canon 75-300mm USM III lens and the EF adapter- video is extremly sharp and contrast is very good (even at 300mm it's pretty good)...it's sharper than the stock lens - biggest problem is no image stabilization....but tripod footage is great....the lens was $199 and has surpassed my expectations- anyone wanting to try long range video with a small budget has got to try this lens- works great!

( with multiplier- range is 540mm-2160mm !!)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog