XL1 or other frame mode camas versus PDX10 at 30 fps? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old September 30th, 2003, 11:54 PM   #1
Contributor

XL1 or other frame mode camas versus PDX10 at 30 fps?

Ok here is my crazy question of the day:

Using a PDX10, which is a native 16:9 little camera, I can get really good 'anamorphic' DV. Now even though this camera doesn't have real proscan, you can get poor man's (that's me allright) proscan by setting the shutter to 30 fps, but the result is line doubling, the usual Sony kind. However, since the CCD is still working in an oversampled 16:9 mode... it might end up being better than the XL1's proscan with it's non-native 16:9. Anybody out there have both cams to test? Leaving away things like optics, low light sensitivity and 4:3 performance, which would be the better cam at 30 fps? Of course us PDX10 users would like to think it's better... and probably Canon fans will say the XL1 will do a better job... any ideas?
Old October 1st, 2003, 12:17 AM   #2
Major Player

I like both cameras, but in my opinion, regardless the mode the PDX10 will have better resolution, even more so in 16:9. It is possible that you will get some blurry motion with the 1/30 shutter, but resolution-wise the PDX10 is going to win hands down.
Juan P. Pertierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2003, 12:22 AM   #3
Contributor

> It is possible that you will get some blurry motion with the
> 1/30 shutter, but resolution-wise the PDX10 is going to win
> hands down.

Even with the Sony line doubling?
Old October 1st, 2003, 12:27 AM   #4
Major Player

I beleive so. I think the line doubling you are talking about is the fact that the camera records in interlaced mode at 60 fields per second, but you are using a 1/30 shutter effectively recording a single image per two fields, or 30 images per second(thus the 30fps 'approximation'). Not sure how this would have any negative effect on resolution, i don't see why it should. The only difference here is that the odd and even lines will be from the same image, while if you use a 1/60 shutter or less the lines will be from different images.

Juan
Juan P. Pertierra is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog