XL1s Feature in AC at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old April 9th, 2002, 08:58 AM   #1
Major Player

XL1s Feature in AC

Just incase you haven't seen, there is an interesting article in this month's American Cinematographer on the XL1s and its related accesories, including a piece on the P+S 35mm adapter. Also in the same issue is a lengthy piece on Mike Figgis' new dv venture "Hotel".

Casey Visco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2002, 09:43 PM   #2
Doconomus

Yeah, some pretty cool and interesting stuff in those articles. I'm wondering how sensible it is to get hand-held shots with the Technik Mini35. Judging by the accounts in the article and pictures, it looks rough for "handholdability." But you never know . . .

Kyle "Doc" Mitchell
Kyle "Doc" Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2002, 02:41 AM   #3
RED Code Chef

I hope Chris can get the rights from them to publish this stuff
online. I'd really like to read these articles that everyone is
talking about in the current issue.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2002, 06:05 AM   #4
Major Player

Kyle, It's looking more like an actual film camera at that point, truly a little rough for hand holding shots, however in that case i'd be willing to slap the whole P+S outfit on to Birns and Sawyer's Image 2000 shoulder mount shown on the previous page (or something similar).

Casey Visco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2002, 11:43 AM   #5
Major Player

P+S mini35

I just got my AC and only flipped through it. There looks to be some great articles on HD and miniDV. More than usual - nice.

I've just got my mini35 and with a lens attached it's not actually that bad. Not any worse than a fully loaded DV500 or a Arri 16s. Of course it's a bit front loaded, especially with a long zoom.

The unit is pretty light and by resting the rails on your shoulders you can adjust the balance of the camera pretty nicely. Plus, the viewfinder is mounted foreword and brings some of the weight onto your shoulder.
Justin Chin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2002, 09:34 PM   #6
Doconomus

You know whats funny about all this is: I heard some people complaining that half the magazine's stories for this issue were on DV cameras and DV shoots. I say its great. This might be a sign that a lot of readers are now moving to digital cinematography. This is a good sign for the world; DV and miniDV is moving up. . .

Kyle "Doc" Mitchell
Kyle "Doc" Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2002, 01:25 AM   #7
Major Player

Yeah, I'd imagine most 35mm cinematographers would say that. I think it's great, at least for this issue. Mostly because the type of articles they do are more in depth and educational than any magazine out there. They are a cinematography magazine, not just a do all video magazine.
Justin Chin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2002, 08:52 AM   #8
Major Player

It was certainly interesting to see the change in AC. Not more than a few months ago you could flip through and almost every feature or column featured a film-based show...And now (at least in this issue) the digital video formats dominate the majority of the magazine. Even though i'm a purely DV guy and I don't shoot film other than for my still photographic work...I'd still prefer to see a good mix of video and film formats in the magazine, as it's about cinematography, a craft that stays the same regardless of the recording medium.

Casey Visco is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog