XL1 / XL1S various posts - Page 124 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old May 29th, 2006, 09:01 AM   #1846
Regular Crew

Minidv dvcam copying problem

I am trying to make clones of minidv tapes from a small panasonic camera via 4pin dv connector to a Sony DRS40P dvcam deck. I am using brand new sony minidv tapes in the sony deck yet it has just recorded in DVCAM mode as it stopped after 40 mins. Anyone out there know what I am doing wrong?
The deck shows "mini" tape when i insert the new tape but also displays "DVCAM" there is no manual for the deck and I do not have time to wait for 1 to arrive. Anyone know what the DUP button does? everything else seems self explanatory
cheers
Allan
Allan Michaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2006, 10:07 AM   #1847
Kino-Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Michaud
[...] it has just recorded in DVCAM mode as it stopped after 40 mins. Anyone out there know what I am doing wrong? [...]
The DSR-40, like my own DSR-20, will play back DV or DVCAM tapes (the DV and DVCAM formats differ in terms of track width and speed and thus the shorter record time in DVCAM), however, they only record in the DVCAM format. If you want to dub DV tapes onto DV, then you'll have to use the DSR-40 as the playback deck and your camera as the record deck. Some Sony decks like the DSR-11 are switchable and can record both DV and DVCAM.
Old June 2nd, 2006, 04:18 AM   #1848
Regular Crew

Thank you so much David, I feel much better, I had used other Sony decks and assumed they all could do this. I have copied them already as you suggested without problem.
cheers
allan
Allan Michaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2006, 06:57 AM   #1849
Inner Circle

Varizoom PG-L and XL1s standby doesn't work

I am posting here and not in the "Support your Camera" forum since this appears to be an XL1s issue. I'll let the moderators decide.

A colleague mentioned he'd gotten a PG-L controller for his XL1s and found it would not allow his camera to go into standby. Stealth and Canon controllers work fine however. I researched the problem here and found some others also experienced that. Varizoom said that it should work. He ordered a second one and it had the same problem. He sent one to Varizoom and after a month they sent it back saying it worked with their XL1s.

Can anyone think of what could be causing this incompatibility with SOME XL1s cameras and not others?

TIA
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2006, 07:34 AM   #1850
New Boot

Tennatively sold pending funds.

www.stealitback.com
www.propertyroom.com
Terry Hensley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2006, 11:15 AM   #1851
Major Player

Adapting XL1 mic to another camera

I have a used XL1 mic I would like to use on another camera, have searched the other posts, but I want to give it it's own power source (5v) how could I build a plugon unit? any help?

Thanks
Mike
Michael Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2006, 09:45 PM   #1852
New Boot

NEW XL1s user here with time code question

I am looking at shooting a music video and I will be using 2 cameras. Is there a way to link the cameras to 1 timecode.

Be simple with your answers I am new, Please
Charles Andrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2006, 12:59 AM   #1853
Obstreperous Rex

Unfortunately no, there is no easy way to sync two XL1 / XL1S cameras to one time code.

If you had two XL H1 cameras, you could do it. They have TC input and output.

There is a way to do it with the XL2 as well: http://www.dvinfo.net/canonxl2/articles/article11.php

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2006, 03:17 AM   #1854
Regular Crew

black bar, abnormal or not?

i have an xl1s and when i record and playback everything is perfect except one thing. when i playback, mostly only noticable on the computer when capturing, there is a black line along the bottom of the footage that never goes away or moves. here is an example of what it looks like.

http://www.everythingtonothing.com/t...tures/bar1.jpg

it isn't extremely noticable but i am curious if it is normal and if not what the cause is.

thanks,
mike
Michael Sweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2006, 10:08 AM   #1855
Regular Crew

Video Light for XL1S

Does anyone know of a good video light which will attach to the XL1S accessory shoe, which can be powered from AC mains as well as battery ?

Up until recently I have used a Wotan AL20 (20 watts), which has just died after 15 years of service!

Any suggestions guys?
Carl Barlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2006, 10:18 AM   #1856
Wrangler

It's normal, Michael. :) Do a search here (in the XL1 forum) and you'll find some old threads on it.
Old June 6th, 2006, 11:05 AM   #1857
Major Player

Tha Canon Vl-10i light works well.
B&H sells it.

Mark
Mark Bournes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2006, 04:20 AM   #1858
Wrangler

A bit tricky but it can be done with a bit of a construction project. For most people it is probably more convenient just to buy a stereo mic such as the AT-822.

You need to whip up a 5 volt DC source, and that is not a standard battery voltage. (I do not know how precise it has to be; i.e., whether or not it is safe to use 6 volts.)

You need to provide the +5-VDC source to the tip of the 2.5mm sub-mini phone plug of the mic, and the DC ground to the sleeve (ground connector) of the 3.5 mm stereo mini phone plug.

The mic-level audio signal comes out the tip and ring of the 3.5 mm mini phone jack.
Old June 8th, 2006, 06:09 AM   #1859
Major Player

Thanks Don, I have an AT 822, but I sure like the sound of the XL1 mic and have one so, I'll give it a try.

Thanks
Mike
Michael Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2006, 10:59 AM   #1860
Regular Crew

Lens cap for XL1s in UK

Hi Everyone

Does anyone now where I can get a spare lens cap for my XL1s camera in UK. Have lost it and need another, or is there a universal one can get.

Thanks

Andy

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog