grey market? manual in three languages at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old October 20th, 2003, 12:18 PM   #1
Major Player

grey market?

My XL1s came with a manual in English French and Spanish. The menu's on the camera are in English. Does this mean the camera is a grey market? The camera was advertised with US warranty, so I don't think it is, but are all the manuals in the US box trilingual?
Bryan Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2003, 01:12 PM   #2
Regular Crew

My GL2 manual is in English, French and Spanish as well and mine is not a grey market one. The menu's are in English as well. I think that grey market one's come with foreign language menus and the body of the camera may actually be a grey color, not entirely sure about that though.

Cheers,
Huey
Brian Huey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2003, 01:41 PM   #3
Wrangler

Brian,

Yes, the XL1s comes with a trilingual manual... printed in Japan!

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2003, 02:01 PM   #4
Major Player

LOL... now I'm confused.... the manual being printed in japan, doesn't mean anything about the warranty though right, lol? I'm sure the canon XL1s itself, isn't made in the US... its just made for the US, or not.
Old October 20th, 2003, 02:05 PM   #5
Wrangler

Don't be confused. Be assured. Just because your manual is trilingual doesn't mean you have a gray market item.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2003, 02:09 PM   #6
Warden

Read the separate warranty card that comes with the camera. It will say US Warranty if indeed the camera is a US warranty item.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2003, 02:18 PM   #7
Major Player

::scrambles to look for that, having never seen it::
Old October 20th, 2003, 05:09 PM   #8
Major Player

I found 2 little card/pamphlets that say "Canon limited warranty/garantie limitee"

On them, they say "warranty coverage is subject to the country where the unit was purchased."

Theres no actual mention of the US in this area, but I bought it in the US. Also, when you open it up, it has a warranty for Canada, and Warranty for US details. I'm guessing this is probably it.
Old October 20th, 2003, 06:17 PM   #9
Wrangler

Call the Canon help desk at their 800 number, ask them . They should be able to map the serial number to a valid UYSA import. They also should be able to tell you if the place you bought it is an authorized dealer.

Tri-lingual manuals work for North America where NTSC and English, Spanish and French are the primary languages
Old October 20th, 2003, 06:18 PM   #10
Warden

That sounds like the warranty card to me. I'd still follow Don's advice.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2003, 07:14 AM   #11
Obstreperous Rex

Don Palomaki has summed it up succinctly... tri-lingual manuals work for North America where the video standard is NTSC and English, Spanish and French are the primary languages. Spanish for Mexico, English for the U.S. and parts of Canada, French for the other parts of Canada. Most all consumer electronics (and just about any consumer product requiring a user's manual, such as a washing machine) are printed in those three primary North American languages if they're shipped to the North American market. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2003, 07:32 AM   #12
Major Player

Thanks, everyone.
Old October 21st, 2003, 08:43 AM   #13
New Boot

Brian,
I'm not sure about this, but I've heard that the grey market cameras mostly have the "in Viewfinder" information in a different language, and they aren't warranteeable in US. But i've never heard they were some inferior reject camera. Just based for a different culture. Same camera, different lingo.
Russ
Russ Evenhouse is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog