Sound volume Change in XL1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old October 15th, 2001, 02:13 PM   #1
limnz0110

Sound volume Change in XL1

I'm new here.

I just got XL1(PAL) and I almost do video on concert.
But I founded some sound problem.

When doing the video on concert, XL1 catches the sound which is more louder or nearby. When people clap hands the sound of the stage seems to be reduced.

I'm using the original MIC. It's might be OK when the audience clap at the end but when they clap in between it's a problem.

I also have a sony TRV310E and it doesn't have that problem.

Is there anybody have had that problem?
Do I have to use other option rather then using the MIC.?
Old October 15th, 2001, 03:07 PM   #2
christopher

Auto levels

Hi there!

Sounds like you've got the Rec Level in auto. So basically it a louder sound is present, it ducks the background sound to compensate for the increase level. Try putting it in manual.

I'm not too familiar with the onboard mic on the XL1, but it is a shotgun and should therefore have some fairly focused response patterns. If you're shooting concerts, either get a feed from the board or get a mic (wireless if needed) capable of high SPL's and put it near the stacks. If you want to get really cool, either run that stack source to another recorder and lay it back in later or switch to 4 channel and mix is ambient and crowd noises from the XL1 mic.

Just my thoughts - HTH.

Chris
Old October 15th, 2001, 04:09 PM   #3
Wrangler

Surprised that the TRV310 does not have the same problems.

For decent sound at a concert you have to get the microphones in fron of the audience, and you should have somewhat directional microphones, cardoid is fine. Shotguns are not great for music because they can introduce artifacts to the sound caused by their directional nature. Keep in mind that a mic cannot tell the difference betwen the bad 50 feet from you and the clown making in noise 3 feet from you. On the other hand, your ears and brain system can compensate somewhat.

Once you have the mics out in front of the audience, use manual level control to avoid any AGC effects caused by changes in program level. The XL1 audio has a wide dynamic range and can deal with wide swings of inut singal, as long as the gain is not set to clip on peaks.

The XL1 mic is a good mic for its price point, but it is not on a par with mics designed for professional music pickup.

I've used quality wireless mcis placed near a band and receivers at the camcorder some distance from the band with good results. Works where you cannot setup wired mics.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2001, 05:44 PM   #4
limnz0110

Suprised for your quick reply

Thanks, I think I got some answers.

Seems like I have to invest some more money for the sound.

The XL1 is a property for my choir group(Korean Children Choir) which has a limited burget and I'm a volunteer to do the video and the video editing for them.

I did the video for the 4th Annual Concert using two Sony D8 Cam. The first one was in the middle of the second floor and the second one was on the right side of the second floor of the concert hall.

I did catch all the sound using the first cam and put some close up footage of the second cam using Pinnacle studio DV.
Sound quality and the PIC was good compare to the last year Concert which was done by professionals.
So our group decided to invest some money to purchase some equipment to save money doing by ourself.

Sorry for the long story and sorry for my poor english which is my second language.

Thanks again for your quick reply.
Old October 16th, 2001, 05:03 AM   #5
Wrangler

For recording a choir on a budget, in stereo, consider getting a pair of Shure Beta Green 4.1 mic (about $140 each mail order) and sufficient cable to reach a MA-100 on the XL1. Place the mics on tall stands in front of the choir.

Ther are better mics, but the BG 4.1 is a reasonable starting point if economy is important.

The Shure web site has useful information on recording choral groups.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog