DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   $500 Rebate on XL1S (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/16402-500-rebate-xl1s.html)

Leo Anderson October 29th, 2003 02:01 PM

$500 Rebate on XL1S

I just bought a new XL1S a week ago and I just found out that if I had waited one week, I would have qualified for a $500.00 rebate from Canon.

I love the new camera, but I'm very bummed right now. I called Canon and I was told that there was no way that I could qualify for this rebate.

I'm thinking about packing my whole camera up and sending it back to the place I bought it from and waiting a week and maybe purchasing it again.

XL1S Coupon

I wonder if the new rebate means that they are getting ready to release the XL2.

Leo Anderson

Alex Dunn October 29th, 2003 02:22 PM

"The prophecy is coming true!"

Let's all cross our fingers in unison that we may see an XL2 with 16x9 CCDs, 24p, and HD with no price hike (a guy can dream).

The coupon does not expire until Jan 31, 2004 so it will still be a few months before we know anything.

Dave Stewart October 29th, 2003 05:12 PM

They did a rebate of $500 for the XL1 when the XL1s came out as well. My XL1 was but a month old, but I was not eligeable for the rebate as the deal was for an XL1 bought after the release of the XL1s. I sent the rebate form in as instructed and I got my $500 rebate anyway.

Leo Anderson October 29th, 2003 10:49 PM

Thanks Dave,

I'll try to send in my rebate info and see what happens. The worst they can say is no. I hope I get the rebate though, I have my eye on some more toys for my camera. :)

Leo

Bernard Diaz October 29th, 2003 11:57 PM

Dave, how long after the $500 rebate for the xl1 did the xl1s come out?
This will more or less give us an indication as to when the XL2 will go on the market.

Michel Brewer October 30th, 2003 01:16 PM

rebate?

I couldnt get the coupon to come up, and there wasnt any info on this in the promotions on the canondv site, was this a company promotion? or the store the link above goes to a videotranix site but couldnt get it to load.

i hope this is a canon thing and a new model with....well we all know what we want on it

m

Dave Stewart October 30th, 2003 04:02 PM

I bought the XL1 in May of 2001 and I believe the XL1s came out that July. The rebate was offered at the same time the XL1s was released. Only an XL1 purchased after the release date was eligeable for the $500 rebate. Canon was nice to send me a rebate anyway. I can't remember where I got the coupon. I think I followed a site listed here. I did use my actual receipt, and didn't try any trickery.

Alfred Tomaszewski October 30th, 2003 08:34 PM

i dont know if this rebate is the "real deal" because it doesnt say anything about it on the canondv site. they have the rebate for the gl2 on the site so it would seem logial that if there was a rebate for the xl1s it would be on the site.

Chris Hurd October 31st, 2003 07:33 AM

Howdy from Texas,

Take my word for it, the rebate is "the real deal." However it is not always indication of a new product around the corner. Any of our authorized DV Info Net sponsors who carry the XL1S will offer the rebate. Hope this helps,

Leo Anderson October 31st, 2003 05:18 PM

The rebate is now listed on Canon's website.

Alfred Tomaszewski November 1st, 2003 12:44 PM

my gl1 just got a blown pixel...wait for model change or take advantage of rebate?

Neo Castillo November 1st, 2003 03:47 PM

New XL1s

I was just about to buy a new xl1s untill I saw this rebate on canons site. Now I'm lost. I think I am just going to wait till a new model comes out. I 'm a student and my funds are limited. I don't want to waste my money on something that is soon to be obsolite.

Jean-Philippe Archibald November 1st, 2003 04:53 PM

The XL1s will not become obsolete even if a new product hit the street. This cam will remain a great camera. And with a 500$ rebate, it become much more interesting especially if your budget is limited...

Many people, including me, are still shooting using the old XL1, even if this model is discontinued since more than 2 years.

Don Palomaki November 1st, 2003 05:37 PM

A rebate is often an alternative form of price reduction to compete with other products, etc. It is one form that does not involve repricing inventory already in dealers stocks. And I suspect a fair number of rebate's are never sent in; e.g., from larger companies, government agencies., and forgetful consumers.

I would not expect a successor to the XL1s until it is about 3 years old, which means late spring or summer of 2004 - gee, that is only 6 to 8 months away!

Neo Castillo November 1st, 2003 06:11 PM

Exactly

That is only 6 months or so away. I most definately can wait that long. I ve saved up half a year already i might as well keep saving for another half year and possibly get a product that might have HD capability or other new useful features.

I just want to add to that my wording was wrong earlier. I really wasn't trying to say that the xl1 or the xl1s are bad cameras by using the word: obsolite. What I was trying to say is that since I am a student I need my dollar to stretch as far as i can make it go. So I can't justify to myself spending the money on an XL1s when soon (meaning 6 months or so) a new model will come out. I hope that clarifies what i was trying to say and i was by no means calling the xl1 and xl1s infirior products.