A Slightly Different Take on Import Problems at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old November 4th, 2003, 09:30 AM   #1
New Boot

A Slightly Different Take on Import Problems

Hey guys.

I'm Fig, I'm a newbie here...but I've been lurking since long before I got me camera. I go by 'Fig' even in real life, but Chrystie stays. I just wanna contnue to have a login. ;-)

Anyway, onto the meat of my problem. You've seen a few threads on how the XL-1s and imports don't exacly like each other. I'm having the same problem. I've checked the manual, did what it said...no soap. I've tinkered...no soap.

For those who still don't know what I'm talking about, I'll give a brief summary. I'm unable to bring in component or S-Video to push it into my Firewire. I'm also not really interested in buying a pinnacle deck for this same issue. Hence, my XL comes into play.

Has anyone had this problem and navigated through it? I have Premiere 6.5 for capturing, a, as I've said, XL-1s.

Thanks guys.

Fig
Old November 4th, 2003, 01:50 PM   #2
Major Player

I speak a few languages and still find it hard to understand what you mean. Are you saying that you want to import to Premiere something through Svideo or composite??? Or that it will not work via firewire. I may not be anything around what you mean but I honestly find it hard to understand what you mean.

Problem 1 =
I have a Pinnacle card (DV/Analog) to capture via Svideo or composite. However trying to capture analog footage in Premiere 6.5 cannot be done. I have contacted either Premiere or Pinnacle tech support (cannot remember which) and they said that the nature of Premiere is that it can only do digital capture not analog. So the only way around that is to capture my analog footage via Pinnacle Studio 8 and then import the captured footage into Premiere which can then be exported in digital or DVD or other Video media types.

Problem 2 =
Also, what may be what you mean, is that the firewire connection on the XL1s is defaulted as an analog-type version (or how ever its called) so you have to go into the menu on the XL1s and to SYSTEM --- DV CONTROL --- ON . Once thats on then the XL1s can be used to be captured in Premiere with firewire. With the DV control switched to OFF the correct signal cannot be sent to the computer and camcorder. So once its switched to ON you can capture as you would any other camcorder.

Hope I have been a help to your problem, if I understood you correctly.
Christopher Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2003, 03:30 PM   #3
New Boot

...yeah, my question was, how do I import analog video through my XL-1's' analog in's and push it out of firewire into Premiere.

So..Premiere isn't capable of handling it?
Old November 4th, 2003, 08:50 PM   #4
Major Player

I know you can record through analog inputs onto tape and then capture into Premiere via firewire. But I dont know if the camera can cope with it happening instantaneously without recording to tape first. I honestly have never tried. But it would require the camera to realtime convert analog video of (most likely inferior line res and quality) to digital and then send it via the firewire to the computer instantaneously keeping everything in sync. I have never heard of anyone doing this that I know of. But I would think it a little too complex for the camera to cope with signals going in all directions and digitising at the same time.

So i think its more the XL1s not handling it than Premiere.

You can get an Analog card/adaptor pretty cheap now, but again Premiere won't let you capture analog (unless theres some third party middle program that helps you do it), but with Pinnacle card it wont let you at all. Theres not even a choice or function to detect an analog input device on Premiere that I have.
Christopher Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2003, 09:05 PM   #5
Major Player

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6872&highlight=analog+firewire

this link to old post may help. It says how XL1s cannot cope with Pass through, ie VCR (Analog)----XL1s----(digital) Computer.

I have no idea if theres a third party software (even if such a thing exists) but if the camera cannot even do it then theres no point.

Best option is to get analog to firewire converter, if thats all your computer has in way of conections, such as a Laptop. But I have heard somwhere that Dazzle on has occasional frame loss. But there are others and im sure a search of this community will find you some recommendations from those who have one.
Christopher Hughes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog