Canon XL1 & XL1S Batteries / Battery Options - Page 25 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old March 13th, 2007, 02:59 PM   #361
Regular Crew

I am just checking to see if a 7000mah will be safe to use over the long run.
I know my small handy cam does not like generic batteries when the mah does not match the sony batteries which are very expensive. so I am hesitant to buy generic batteries for my XL1S.

I am going with one of each..one canon and one generic.
How long of a shoot do you get with a bp-945???
I was filming a sled race outdoors at -30c this weekend and my extended life 945 wasn't performing too good. I was hoping to get more than an hour of shooting from 3 batteries???? :)
Vince Halushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2007, 03:05 PM   #362
Trustee

I got a 5 hour battery from http://www.ebatts.com, it's been working great for me for a year!

This one: http://www.ebatts.com/canon_xl1s_cam...rt_b-9534.aspx
Old March 14th, 2007, 08:36 AM   #363
Major Player

Location: Central North Carolina (Raleigh, Durham, & surrounding areas)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Halushka View Post
I am just checking to see if a 7000mah will be safe to use over the long run.
I know my small handy cam does not like generic batteries when the mah does not match the sony batteries which are very expensive. so I am hesitant to buy generic batteries for my XL1S.

I am going with one of each..one canon and one generic.
How long of a shoot do you get with a bp-945???
I was filming a sled race outdoors at -30c this weekend and my extended life 945 wasn't performing too good. I was hoping to get more than an hour of shooting from 3 batteries???? :)

"I am just checking to see if a 7000mah will be safe to use over the long run."

Well, I see absoultely no safety issue. The 7000 mAh battery will simply have more power available to the camera than a 4500 mAh battery. That's all, period. As for shooting outdoors in -30 temps, then the temperature you were in was probably the cause of the battery's short life, not the brand you used. If the cold temps are normal for your shooting conditions, I'd say you need to pack more batteries and anticipate shorter life between charges.

"How long of a shoot do you get with a bp-945???"

It all depends on the camera, how you use it, and the environmental conditions. In my side by side comparison, my GL-1 gets a lot more use out of a battery than my GL-2. Most likely, the XL series will get usage similar to the GL-2. I know it's not the definitive answer you're looking for, but even my personal battery use times vary constantly. I get more life from batteries at some shoots than at others.

The battery that Cole references above may work just fine, but the generics I get off of e-bay are $25.00 with shipping. It's a good risk for me, and I've been satisfied with all of my generics. If anyone would like the info on the dealer I bought from, e-mail me and I'll share it with you.

Mark
Mark Holland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2007, 09:03 AM   #364
Inner Circle

I'm not sure specifically about the XL1, but page 15 of the manual for the XL2 has a table for battery life. The typical recording time with the 20x lens and color viewfinder for the BP-945 is 135 min. I use the manual 16x lens, but I have the fu-1000 viewfinder.,,, TRT is 115 mins per the tables recommendation. That seems about right for my generic batts.

IF you really need extended time, I suggest investing in the ch-910 batt charger. That way you put two batts on to shoot. Figure a good two to three hours shooting easy... and you can change one batt while the other one is being used.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2007, 09:50 AM   #365
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Halushka View Post
Canon and Sony batteries are 2 different animals. Sony has a build in smart circuit that talks to the camera using their proprietary "InfoLithium" protocol, which they periodically change. Because of that, the generics are not always accepted by the Sony cameras. Once they change their protocol, the battery is rejected as foreign.
Canon does not have this limitation. Any battery that makes a connection through (+) and (-) contacts, is accepted.
Many generics overstate their actual charge capacity by a huge number. The only one I am familiar with that tests to the same number as claimed, is Lenmar.
http://www.dolgin.net
Alex Dolgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2008, 08:23 AM   #366
New Boot

XL1s Camera Batteries?

I am about to begin work on a project and it has been approved in the budget to purchase a couple new batteries ($200 budgeted), I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on batteries to use in a Canon XL1s unit that would stay within the budget (less than if possible), but will still provide a good amount of shooting time. The "official" cannon batteries seem pretty high priced.
Brandon Nichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2008, 09:25 AM   #367
Major Player

Location: Central North Carolina (Raleigh, Durham, & surrounding areas)
I've been using generics for a few years in my GL cameras, with great results. The BP-945 equivalents cost about $25 each, including shipping. If you'd like details, e-mail me.

Mark
Old February 5th, 2008, 10:05 AM   #368
Major Player

Third party really hasn't let me down. I got an 8 hour battery on ebay for $35. It really only lasts about 7 hours, but that's fine with me.
Old February 5th, 2008, 10:47 AM   #369
Major Player

In my experience with generics is they will work great for a while, but after about a year or so, they decline. Some of the one's I've bought aren't usable after a year.

As for OEM's....I still have the original battery that came with my XL1 in 2000, and it still works great. So you do get what you pay for...but if short term (and $$$$) is your concern, the generics will get the job done. They're all over ebay for around $25.
Mike Meyerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2008, 11:00 AM   #370
New Boot

Thanks to everyone for the feedback. I was worried about buying third party/generic because of the drastic price difference between the Canon batteries and these, but since everyone seems to agree that the generics seem to get the job done, I am looking at a third party/generic battery on amazon that is $17.95 before shipping. Going with something this far below my budgeted price range will even allow me to buy 1 more than planned as a backup and still be under budget.

The battery: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...2GDJR&v=glance
Brandon Nichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2008, 01:33 PM   #371
Wrangler

I've had good luck with Lenmar LIC941s with my XL1 and Gl1, and am using the LIC950s with my XH-A1. Are they as good as a Canon? Maybe not (e.g., maybe last 4 years instead of five, and have had one replaced under warranty), but I'd say they are close enough for folk music or government work.
Old February 5th, 2008, 01:47 PM   #372
Trustee

I bought a 5 hour battery 3 years ago from www.ebatts.com and it still works like a champ. I have no problem recommending them to you, even with the cheesy sounding name.
Old February 6th, 2008, 12:35 AM   #373
Major Player

ah ha nice job sliding one in Don.
Is anyone using a battery belt pack with the XL1(s)?
Jack Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2008, 07:59 AM   #374
Wrangler

Just a thought. Considering the runtime available from a camera-mounted battery (typically more than a full tape for most users/uses), unless you are powering a light or similar power hog, there is arguably not much advantage to a belt power pack, except maybe for the additional exercise value and the practice you get managing more wire/cable. My two cents, but everyone's situation is a bit different.
Old February 19th, 2008, 07:49 PM   #375
New Boot

Whats the model and Brand?

What is the brand and model number of the battery belt pack? I am looking to purchase one, and have not found anything that sticks out as compatible with my XL1s. What do I look for when looking for a belt pack? Is there some fancy adapter?
Ben Fiedler is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog