Exceptionally Dark Image at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old April 27th, 2002, 07:58 PM   #1
New Boot

Exceptionally Dark Image

I just recently bought an XL-1 from a video production house used and I am very pleased with it. However I have noticed that it gets a very dark picture under even normal lighting circumstances. The iris is set to 1.6, the shutter rate is 1/60th and the Gain is at 0db. However in a normally lit room I am still seeing mostly black. The camera otherwise gets a wonderful picture in outdoor/brightly lit situations. I know the XL-1 has its limits in low-light, but when compared to my Canon Elura 2MC (a 1-CCD inferior camera), the XL-1's image is much darker when both are set to the same settings (the Elura is not boosting its own gain or anything). I was always under the impression that 3 CCD cameras usually get much better low-light images. Please inform me of any of your experiences or if you think that there might be a problem with the camera and what it might be. Thank you in advance.
Trent Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2002, 08:42 PM   #2
Wrangler

The 3-CCD low light image is better in terms of color saturation. A 1-CCD can be a bit brighter because the light is not split three ways. Depending on the room light levels you may need some gain for a reasonably bright image.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2002, 09:04 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Since you bought it used, might I suggest thet you join the XL-1 club, wait till you get your official club ID, call Canon and send it in for maintanence and any software upgrade it might need.

I send this note to you thinking that you live in the USA. Unfortunately, your profile being incomplete, it doesn't give a clue! Thr club exists in the US only at this time.
Bruce Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2002, 07:13 AM   #4
Wrangler

Does XL1 Owners Club accept purchasers of used units?

Tret may be from Maryland,, USA.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2002, 09:18 AM   #5
Regular Crew

"The XL-1 Club" I would try, the most they can say is no!

Perhaps the original owner never joined, try "don't ask, don't tell" and proceed.
Bruce Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2002, 11:43 AM   #6
Wrangler

Why are we always left out!
Nori Wentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2002, 12:13 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Remember that friend in Washington state?
Bruce Moore is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog