A Very Good Lav Mic at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old April 30th, 2002, 10:53 PM   #1
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

A Very Good Lav Mic

Thought I'd pass this along for anyone interested.

I recently purchased 2 Sony ECM-55B wired lav mics and they are excellent. They are omni-directional but with a close field. The sound quality is very smooth, especially for voice (which is basically what they're designed for. They're very small, come with a windscreen and a generous cable (balanced XLR connection). They run on -either- 1-AA battery or phantom power and can auto-detect the latter. There is also a more uni-directional version of this mic available (ECM-56B?). The price was around US$259 ea. from B&H.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2002, 01:32 PM   #2
Regular Crew

sony caution

Beware the Sony's. I rented a Sony setup and found they tend to have limited channels (less than 10...though I may be wrong on that with newer ones). So in the larger city environments I've found channels being stepped on. I ended up getting a Lectrosonics 100-1566 setup and am STOKED. May be a bit more expensive, bt removes headaches across the board. Also the range is outstanding on them.
Ford Minton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2002, 01:34 PM   #3
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

The Sony ECM-55B is a -wired- lav mic, not a wireless.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2002, 03:22 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I"m an idiot, sorry. Please disregard that posting.
Ford Minton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog