DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   i have a chance at a gl2 and an xl1 both with extras, which to get? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/18392-i-have-chance-gl2-xl1-both-extras-get.html)

Patrick Falls December 15th, 2003 08:32 PM

i have a chance at a gl2 and an xl1 both with extras, which to get?

i have a chance at an xl1 and a gl2 both with extras, i won the xl1 for $1775.00 and i'm being offered the gl2 for $1400.00 both comes with extras check em out and let me know which is a better deal. i'm planning on shooting music videos, and maybe weddings. i know i mainly want to shoot music videos, with chroma keying and low light capabilities.

GL2
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2971623610&category=20330&rd=1

XL1
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2971105653&category=20330&rd=1

Ross Weinshenker December 16th, 2003 05:12 PM

XL1 is better for low light conditions than the GL2...and if you're shooting chroma you'll probably want the camera on the tripod anyway (because its heavy to hold in your hand, which is a good reason to consider the GL2), so I would get the XL1. I'm selling my XL1 for a GL2 simply because the XL1 is too heavy for me...especially when my partner uses a GL1 lol.

Joel Corral December 16th, 2003 11:12 PM

so ross,

i might be intersted in the xl1 get back to me ok. i want to get the latest info on your camera.

Patrick Falls December 17th, 2003 07:51 AM

cool

thanks, i appreciate the feedback. after consideration and help from your replies and the replies from others i'm going to go with the xl1. i'm just starting out, and i think the xl1 will give me the edge in the local market with a (pro) look.

Don Berube December 17th, 2003 12:09 PM

The XL1 is not heavy, compared to the much larger cameras it competes with. I shoot handheld at least 75% of the time with many different cameras and honestly, using the lighter XL1S is a treat.

Just curious about one thing Patrick, you stated that you wojn the bid for the XL1 but then state that you were considering the GL2 instead. You are legally bound to pay for that XL1, since you bid for the item and won, aren't you?

- don

Jean-Philippe Archibald December 17th, 2003 12:59 PM

in this thread, http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...threadid=18423
Patrick explained that he was planning to let the next highest bidder buy the cam if this is correct with the seller.

Ross Weinshenker December 17th, 2003 12:59 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Don Berube : The XL1 is not heavy, compared to the much larger cameras it competes with. I shoot handheld at least 75% of the time with many different cameras and honestly, using the lighter XL1S is a treat.

Just curious about one thing Patrick, you stated that you wojn the bid for the XL1 but then state that you were considering the GL2 instead. You are legally bound to pay for that XL1, since you bid for the item and won, aren't you?

- don -->>>

There are ways to get out of it. And you're right, compared to the cameras it competes with, the XL1 is MUCH lighter. But when compared to the GL2, 4lbs is a HUGE difference.

Don Berube December 17th, 2003 01:24 PM

Cool beanz. I hear what you are saying.

But I must say that I personally prefer a heavy camera, it's just what I have become used to over the years.

For the times that I do use a GL2, I usually add a larger BP-945 battery, BeachTek audio adaptor and my old, heavy-duty Gitzo monopod to add some mass and stability.

- don

Patrick Falls December 17th, 2003 01:58 PM

thanks again everyone

I understand your concern Mr. Don Berube, and i thank you very very much Jean-Philippe Archibald for clearing that up for me.
I really like ebay because it helps people like me to afford the otherwise unaffordable, so i respect everyone that's apart of ebay, as a matter of fact i just sold a pair of mackie hr824 active studio reference monitors for a little under $900.00.

I had those babies professionally wrapped by UPS. they arrived to the purchaser cracked. i had covered them with insurance, but UPS, took pictures of them and then mailed me a letter saying they are not responsible for the care or packaging of any goods shipped through them. I cannot believe this and the guy on the other end is upset. i am now trying to figure out how to resolve this matter because one of us will be taking a big loss.

sorry to stray off topic but i just wanted to share that i am a passionate buyer and seller on e-bay. i'm going to drive from georgia to floriday to pick up that xl1 personally friday night. it is going to take me about 8 hours each way.

Don Berube December 17th, 2003 02:58 PM

>>>>>>>>I had those babies professionally wrapped by UPS. they arrived to the purchaser cracked. i had covered them with insurance, but UPS, took pictures of them and then mailed me a letter saying they are not responsible for the care or packaging of any goods shipped through them.

- I just got off the telephone with UPS regarding their insurance policy in these situations. #1) Did you pay for additional insurance to cover the $900 value of those speakers? UPS will cover the first $100 value of your shipment, after the first $100 value you will need to pay an additional .35 per additional $100 excess value of product shipped. That means it would have cost you approximately $3.00 additional insurance to cover the full value of your speakers. #2) PACKAGING: According to UPS CAPITOL INSURANCE AGENCY, INC, provided that you had your product wrapped by an authorized UPS agent (UPS Store), if the product is damaged in any way during shipping, you will be covered - provided that you paid for the additional insurance to cover the excess value of your product. You may reach the UPS Capitol Insurance Agency at 877-242-7930.

Questions:
1) Did you pay for the additional insurance costs to cover the excess value over $100 of your speakers?
2) Exactly WHO packaged these speakers for you?
3) Exactly HOW were these speakers packaged?
4) Assuming that you followed proper procedure as detailed above, exactly what did UPS tell you in regards to their being liable for damaging your speakers?

Hopefully this works out in your favor.

- don

Ross Weinshenker December 17th, 2003 03:45 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Don Berube : Cool beanz. I hear what you are saying.

But I must say that I personally prefer a heavy camera, it's just what I have become used to over the years.

For the times that I do use a GL2, I usually add a larger BP-945 battery, BeachTek audio adaptor and my old, heavy-duty Gitzo monopod to add some mass and stability.

- don -->>>

Yeah, I like a heavy camera, not those stupid little handhelds, but 6 lbs is a little much for shooting skate videos, and carrying around to capture footage when you need it.

Note: I am in the process of trading my camera with somebody on the board. However, because it was used to film a skate video, there is absolutely NO damage to the camera at all. :) just to clear that up.

Ross

Patrick Falls December 17th, 2003 08:40 PM

wow, thanks a million

thank you Don Berube, i have to get on the phone asap and talk to those guys. i purchased the extra insurance with them and i went to the official UPS shipping and packaging office here in augusta georgia.

those speakers were packed inside seperate boxes in bubble wrap. i thought the UPS clerk did a really good job.

the letter that i recieved from Crawford and Company which are representatives for UPS stated

"Dear Patrick Falls

Crawford & Company has been retained as the claims rep, authorized by UPS Capitol Insurance Agency, Inc. to investigate, evaluate and accept or deny Excess Value Insurance Claims for packages shipped by UPS.

This will confirm no insurance claim has been created for the above mentioned package for the following reasons, as stated in the UPS Tarrif

535. Limitations Of Liability For Damaged And Lost Property
UPS will not be liable or responsible for the loss or damage to...
(2) any package resulting from insects, moths, vermin, inherent vice( including, but not limited to, improper, inadequate, or unsafe packaging or wrapping that fails to meet UPS's published standards related thereto set forth in this Tariff or elsewhere), deterioration, dampness or atmosphere, extreme or temperature, ordinary wear and tear, or which occurred or arose prior to or after the course of transportation by UPS.

437. Packaging
It is the responsibility of the shipper to ensure that proper packaging is used and that contents of packages are adequately adn securely packed, wrapped. and cushioned for transportation. The use of UPS-provided packaging is not a guarantee that an item is sufficiently packaged for transportation. UPS does not provide special handeling for packages bearing "Fragile", package orientation markings(e.g.,"UP" arrows or "This End Up" markings), or any other similar such markings.

440. Refusal Of Service
Packages must be so packed or wrapped as to meet UPS's Published standards related thereto set forth in this Tariff or elsewhere, and as to pass the tests set forth in the International Safe Transit Association, Procedure 1A, Procedure for Testing Packaged Products, published by the International Safe Transit Association, with the additional requirement that, for all packages weighing over 60 lbs., the drop height shall be 12 inches and the drop sequence shall be the same as in Procedure 1A."

as far as i understand the are telling me that i should have made sure it was packed better than what i payed them to do, and that they do not handle products with care. due to your investigation i am going to give these people a call.

thanks a million for your most generous initiative Mr. Berube