Mystery image shake at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old December 21st, 2003, 08:41 AM   #1
New Boot

Mystery image shake

Hello,

We are using an XL1S and a cheaper Panasonic PVDV52 with an MXPro mixer - this is a broadcast setup for a closed-circuit TV program.

The image from the XL1S shakes very slightly (but noticeably) when the camera is just sitting on the tripod. This occurs whether the stabilizer is on or off. There is nothing moving in front of the camera - just a still shot of a Bingo board or wall decorations.

The image from the Panasonic (or from our other cheaper camera, a Canon ZR40) is perfectly still. We've tried exchanging cables, and switching inputs on the mixer, to no avail.

Anyone know what might be causing the shake? Thanks for any help.

Patrick Lipawen
Patrick Lipawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2003, 02:48 PM   #2
Outer Circle

It's a stable tripod? Leave OIS disengaged. There could be slight shaking you cannot see, or perhaps the auto sensors are having trouble in lower light.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2003, 03:39 PM   #3
New Boot

We have the Libec LS35. The shake occurs with or without the stabilizer. I'm fairly certain the ground is not shaking from construction or large objects being moved about. Also, we are broadcasting from a well-lit area.

Any other ideas? Thanks in advance.

Patrick
Old December 21st, 2003, 03:46 PM   #4
Major Player

Are both cams connected to the mixer and a monitor, when you see the problem?
Andre De Clercq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2003, 03:59 PM   #5
Major Player

Is the shaking only horizontal? Is it periodic?
Old December 21st, 2003, 04:20 PM   #6
New Boot

Yes, we connect both cameras to the mixer. From the mixer, one video out goes to a preview monitor, the other goes into a modulator for our closed-circuit system.

The shaking with the XL1S is vertical, and it is constant. We can see it on the preview monitor, and everyone watching can see it when they turn on our house cable channel. It is only a slight movement, but I would like to get rid of it. Any suggestions?

Patrick
Old December 21st, 2003, 04:39 PM   #7
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

To eliminate variables, try disconnecting the XL1s from the mixer and see if the image is stable direct to monitor.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2003, 05:07 AM   #8
Wrangler

How fast is the shake? How large is it. If about one line, it might be an issue in the mixer.
Old December 22nd, 2003, 07:31 AM   #9
Warden

Most of the newer mixers use a frame synchronizer to mix the footage. However, the MXPro uses a TBC. Have you upgrade the mixer to use DV or are you using analog in? How long of a cable from the camera to the mixer? I think Ken, Andre and Don are on the right track. Do as Ken suggested and connect the camera directly to a monitor and check for any visible shake. If none is observed, then the mixer is the most likely cause. I would talk to Videonics and see what they suggest.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2003, 11:11 AM   #10
New Boot

There is no shake when the XL1S is attached directly to the monitor. We didn't buy the digital upgrade, so we are using analog inputs. Our RCA cable is 6 ft long.

I guess it is a mixer issue. I will go through our mixer settings and see if I can fix it. I'm not sure why the smaller miniDV cams don't have the same problem.

Thanks for the replies!

Patrick
Old December 22nd, 2003, 11:22 AM   #11
Major Player

Patrick, try to disengage the auto focus and see if it's still there. Sometimes there can be an effect that might resemble shaking if the auto focus is constantly seeking. It's probably not your issue but as none of us can see it, it's hard to judge and it's worth a shot.
Rob Easler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2003, 02:30 PM   #12
Major Player

Do you have the shakes when only the XL1S is connected to the mixer? Mixers contain frame buffers ( and "de facto" contain a TBC function - jittery signals can't be mixed...)) in order to retime the incoming signals. The new timing can be maped on an external source (genlock), an independent internal reference, or can use one of the incoming signals as the reference timing. In the latter case, when there is a significant deviation in framerate between the mixed sources, the "buffer full" or the "buffer empty" flag, too often generates a drop or a repeat frame, which in consumer mixers can generate small shakes. Often horizontal and periodic.
Old December 23rd, 2003, 05:26 AM   #13
Wrangler

Contact Videonics, ask them about the issue.

Note that the frame/field freeze option might cause jitter when used.

Does using a different input on the miser make a difference?

As I recall, the older MX1 mixer has an additional setup option that might effect image stability..

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog