focus slipping, iris acting funny - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old May 11th, 2002, 03:45 PM   #46
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by SlashRules : But unless I know my stuff is going to reach theatrical distribution, isn't what a consumer television shows me good enough? Granted there's that portion of the population with HD TVs and such, is it really that big of an issue? -->>>

Slash,

If you might be doing something for distribution with Quick Time or Windows Media it may become a problem. These formats will show everything including the problem with the black bar at the bottom of the picture.

And yes, you are not alone. I was out shooting yesterday and had the same focus problem to which you referred in your original post. I thought I was doing something wrong.

Bill
Bill Markel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2002, 07:38 PM   #47
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Slash,
Indeed, normal underscan is not an issue for material targeted at standard tv viewing. Underscan, itself, is unavoidable. But, as Bill noted, streamed or digital material will show the full frame's contents.

Also, the color viewfinder's frame is, I believe, cropped closer than the underscan borders. So unless you are careful you can easily find unintended stuff creeping into the recorded frame and not discover it until you go to post.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2002, 03:03 PM   #48
Regular Crew

underscan

Haha,

Try going all the way wide in the 3x and you can get the lens hood in the frame.

I know you can edit the frame in post, but then if it's focus critical in post production you might have a problem.
ja135321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2002, 03:27 PM   #49
Obstreperous Rex

I've shot extensively with the 3x lens out all the way wide and have *never* had the lens hood appear in frame. The hood which comes with the 3x is shaped differently than the hood on the standard 16x; if you use the wrong hood then I can see how this would be the problem. But as to the 3x hood appearing in the frame, that's a new one on me, I have never experienced that after much shooting all the way wide with that 3x lens.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2002, 03:37 PM   #50
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Same here. As long as the 3x hood is mounted properly it cannot possibly creeep into the frame whatsoever. That said, it is possible to mismount the hood, particularly if you're in a hurry and not paying close attention. Just make sure that the set screw slides into the lens' channel and that you lock it down.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2002, 06:54 AM   #51
Major Player

Interesting thread and some good info. However, Chris Hurd's quote at the beginning of this thread contained the dreaded word *all*:

<On the second issue, this is *perfectly normal* for a zoom lens... it will have one certain maximum aperture at the wide end, and another certain maximum aperture, not as open, at the telephoto end. *All* zoom lenses are like this, on video cameras and still cameras alike. You have to get into an *extremely expensive* professional zoom lens costing many, many thousands of dollars to get around this issue.>

I don't know if the *'s were the qualifier here, Chris, but I'll have to take issue with you up to a point. In my still photography gear (Nikon) all three of my zooms (17-35, 28-70, 80-210) are constant f2.8 across their entire zoom range.

This has been a great thread for still shooters like me who are being moved into more and more video work for our employers...thanks guys. I'm anxious to see some head-to-head comparisons of the zoom through Wide adapters as I'm feeling very limited (visually) by what our company's XL1 is capable of with the standard lens....I'm spoiled by my Nikon gear ;)

dave
Dave Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2002, 08:12 AM   #52
Obstreperous Rex

My apologies Dave, I should have limited my statement to the realm of prosumer video zoom lenses only. Thanks,

Old May 28th, 2002, 11:29 AM   #53
Slash Rules!

I remember someone saying that the XL1s 16x manual lens didn't have that issue (with the aperature having a different maximum setting at the lens's wide angle than from the lens's telephoto). Is it BS?
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2002, 03:33 PM   #54

The 16x Manual/Servo lens remains at f1.6 thru the entire zoom range, it's not BS because I have one and use it.
Old May 28th, 2002, 11:54 PM   #55
Slash Rules!

Hey hey now. I wasn't accusing anyone. Just asking. This is after all, the internet, and there is known to be much incorrect information floating around.
Old May 29th, 2002, 12:05 AM   #56
Obstreperous Rex

No problem, Don is just confirming something that sure looked like mis-information the way I originally wrote it. I should be more careful.

Old May 29th, 2002, 02:56 AM   #57
Slash Rules!

Cool. It's just one more reason for me to buy the lens, which I'm already planning to do.
Old May 29th, 2002, 07:09 PM   #58
Regular Crew

and a good choice it will be. Like a few others, my fav extra I got for my non-s XL1 is the 16x manual. Focussing _is_ that much easier with it on, and I hardly ever miss the AF functionality (but then I never do guerilla shooting).

Kai.
Kai Leibrandt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog