A Cool Case For The XL1/XL1S & GL1 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old November 10th, 2001, 06:50 PM   #16
Regular Crew

I'm thinking that this great idea for a case will be great for transporting my equipment everywhere, including when flying to exotic locations, perhaps utilizing the built-in handles' spaces for padlocks. (Airlines specifically exempt almost EVERYTHING of any value from their so-called luggage insurance provisions, I believe?)

However, what with the tender loving care exercised by the airlines, not to mention my own clumsy tendencies, wouldn't foam padding be a necessity? The velcro straps you mentioned sound like another well-thought-out adaptation, but if not mounted with some type of foam to absorb shock--- it seems to me that the camcorder and other sensitive items might take a severe beating?

I'm trying to figure out how to use foam and velcro straps in conjunction... at least for the bottom compartment. However, I know my limitations and there is no way that I can cut high-density foam to actually snugly fit. Tried it once before a long time ago and it came out looking dreadful. What do y'all think of placing a thin bumper of foam beneath the thin board the straps go thru to hold the camcorder? Maybe loosely attaching the board to the bottom of the case so that it "floats" on top of the foam but doesn't fly upward away from the bottom of the case when/if the entire case is dropped or thrown around?

Craftsman has a really thin material they use to line the bottoms of drawers in their regular toolboxes that might work nicely in the upper two compartments and stop small items from sliding around so much.

I do want to say thanks a lot to Mark for posting the info on this case!

Ed
Ed Baatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2001, 02:35 AM   #17
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Hey, Mark!

I see that you have a Samson receiver in your case. Since you're using the Canon dual-battery charger on your MA-100, where do you attach the receiver on your camera?

I'm thinking about getting the Samson myself, but wasn't sure where and how I'd attach it.

Thanks.
Old November 13th, 2001, 11:57 PM   #18
Quantum Productions

Case for XL1

Looks very cool! Just what I was looking for and not expensive!
Old November 14th, 2001, 12:32 AM   #19
Bill_Roberts

Got it, Did it, Like it...

I got the case at my local Sears here in Spokane. I picked up a sheet of foam at Fred Meyer and started cutting away. I started with the 3 inch foam base but found out that I did not have the clearance when I sat the XL1s on the foam. I next cut the base to two and then down to 1 inch thick. At one inch, I had the clearance I needed. I sat the XL1s (with MA100, mike and eyeiece) on the foam and drew around the unit with a marker. Next, I just cut it on the outline and dropped it in on top of the 1 inch foam bottom. Works like a charm. I just feel its a little thin on the 1 inch bottom but do-able.
Thanks Mark, you saved me a bunch of money!
Old November 20th, 2001, 12:10 AM   #20
MTC FILMS

zchildress

I attach the Samson receiver to the back of the MA-100.

Here is a photo on how to do it.
Good Luck
Mark

http://www.fast-mhz.com/XL1/img/ma-100-11.jpg
Old November 20th, 2001, 12:32 AM   #21
MTC FILMS

Bill_Roberts

It may seem a little thin but take it from me this case is good and strong.

The case is made for tools and it can handle 260 lbs.

It's so nice to walk on the job with a role away case with everything you need. Plus the top of the case is big enough to put a bag on top so you have one hand free to open doors. :)

Mark

Last edited by MTC FILMS; November 20th, 2001 at 12:49 AM.
Old November 20th, 2001, 02:05 AM   #22
Bill_Roberts

I meant the 1" Foam was thin...

I was hoping to put a little more foam under the XL1s. But I am happy with the case. The case is very strong. You can sit on it or stand on it! It's very stable. ;-)
Old November 20th, 2001, 02:31 AM   #23
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Mark,

Good idea! I didn't think to put it on the back of the MA-100.

Thanks.
Old November 25th, 2001, 06:08 PM   #24
Wrangler

Case is on sale for $39.95

I got the last one here at our store in Hammond. It was on sale for $39.95. There isn't a better time to buy!

Nathan Gifford
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2001, 10:26 AM   #25
Machinist Mate

well, if I didn't have my Porta Brace bag (the price only hurt for a little while) and needed something to tote my XL1, I would consider what I did when I needed cases to lug my DJ equipment in.
I couldn't find exactly what I wanted to protect and organize my sound system, and couldn't stand the prices of the store-bought road cases, so I went downstairs to my table saw and built them.

I constructed the cases out of 1/2" and 3/8" plywood, the roughest (cheapest) grade like CDX--it didn't matter because it was going to be covered up. Most of it was scrap, left over from other construction projects, so the cost was effectively zero. Just assembled them with yellow carpenter's glue and 1-1/4" finishing nails. Then I covered them with DJ carpeting (from MCM Electronics), glued on with parquet flooring adhesive from Home Depot and stapled around the edges with an Arrow T-50 (removed all but the most inconspicuous staples after the job had dried out). All the interior partitions and blocks to custom-fit the electronics were just more pieces of scrap wood covered with that carpeting. Velcro and snaps were used to attach moveable parts. Not much need for foam. Whatever I didn't carpet got painted flat black.

I finished the job off with the appropriate handles, hinges and cabinet corners also from the MCM catalog, which is the only part that cost any noticeable amount of money, about $12 to $20 per case, depending on complexity. You could hardly tell them apart from the "real thing."

I even stitched microphone bags, etc. on the sewing machine out of that same carpeting. That was about ten years ago, and the cases are still going strong (after changing out mixers, CD players and amplifier!).

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog