"I'm ready for my close up" at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old January 9th, 2004, 09:05 AM   #1
New Boot

"I'm ready for my close up"

Any tips on the following scenerio.

I am shooting for a dentist and I need to get REAL close (tooth surface.
Using an XL1s with the tripod stratteling the chair and at its fullest extension.

Problem is the focal length-that is, not having much of it given the perimeters of the room.

I have thought about getting the lens adaptor and using my EOS lens'. Thoughts?

Your insight is always so helpful.

Mike
Old January 9th, 2004, 01:13 PM   #2
Regular Crew

The adapter would help tremendously, though if you are in a confined shooting space it may pose a problem. If you have macro lenses, or better yet extension tubes.....you can really get in tight on your subject. Also, keep in mind that when zoomed in so tightly (and without an image stabilizer.....) the slightlest movement of the tripod will violently shake your image. This includes walking on or near the floor area near your tripod while you are shooting. Test the floor movement before time to shoot, this way you can see how forgiving your body motion will need to be when rolling.

If you have the budget for the adapter I'd say:

adapter + wide angle (no higher than 28mm) + extension tubes

This will get you in incredibly close on the teeth. Extension tubes for the EOS system costs roughly $100 (per set of 3) from B&H. The brand name is KENKO.
Chris Staab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2004, 04:33 PM   #3
Trustee

Michael, I do macro of insects. I use the 16X with the 1.6 extender and either a 1, 3 or 4 diopter. This gives me the ability to fill the screen with an ant milking an aphid!!! You can buy a set of 72mm diopters (usually 1, 2, and 4 with case) for under $100. Hope this helps. Bob
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2004, 10:34 PM   #4
Tourist

Hi Bob, I need a simialr setup as yours for insect work. Do you know where the best place to buy these Diopters online would be? I'm in Brisbane, Australia.
Thanks!
Brett
Old January 11th, 2004, 07:00 AM   #5
Major Player

Diopters work great, but the problem with them could be lighting and/ or having anything other than a static tooth in the shot. With hi magnification diopters you have to be right on top of your subject. You can get almost as close with a 300mm EF and still be 3-4 feet away.

If all you need is a tooth, the diopters (low-$$) or the 24mm w/ex tubes (hi $$) would be fine. If theres going to be any interaction, the 300mm could be the way to go. You wouldn't have to straddle the chair & the dentist would have room to move around. Not to mention keeping spit off you & the lens.

Chris
Chris Korrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2004, 03:51 PM   #6
Trustee

Brett, I got mine from Wolf Camera and Video in Atlanta. Go to www.wolfcamera.com, go to Accessories, click on the 4th one down on the left " Filters 55 - 77mm, go to page 4, about 1/2 way down the page there is a set of three 72mm close up filters for 49.99 US. I love them for insects and flowers. Good luck, Bob
Bob Safay is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog