XL1s Compared GL1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old May 14th, 2002, 12:45 AM   #1
New Boot

XL1s Compared GL1

I was about to buy the XL1s and had a chance to compare with my XM1 yesterday.
It was disapointing. There was really no visual difference in the pictures on the screen.
All shotīs made with everything set on AUTO on the camcorders and all outdoor.
We didnīt make any test in lowlight. Perhaps XL1s is better under those conditions?

We did compare to the JVC 500 1/2" CCD also and found it was much more crisp than the Canon cameraīs but also a completely different Color.

Kjeld
Kjeld Smed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2002, 07:45 PM   #2
Wrangler

The differences will show up as you push the shooting environment; e.g., poor light.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2002, 10:17 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I really like the flexibility the xl1s has. Lots of presets for wt. balance, personal settings, etc. It allows great manual control.

Is it worth twice the price? Depends on if you shoot on auto or really like to get into all the details. I don't have a side by side comparison, but I'm sure the xl1s is better in low light.

Assuming that the gl1 is of comparable image quality, it's a great bargain.

I know I'd love to have the 20x zoom!
Old May 14th, 2002, 10:21 PM   #4
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

As Don noted, the distinction of the XL1s is its adaptability and adjustability. The GL1 is an excellent cam, speaking as an owner of both. It's very handy for run-and-gun work as well as occasions where you need to be a bit less obtrusive. With the XL1s, however, you can basically tweak your imaging (ex: sharpness, gain, etc.) to get more precise results, particularly with challenging lighting. Also, the XL1s' audio capabilities far exceed the GL1's. True, you do need an MA-100 or MA-200 to get the full benefit of it's audio capabilities. But these are relatively low-cost add-ons.

So I'd recommend getting the cam that best suits your needs.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2002, 06:07 AM   #5
Capt. Quirk

The GL1 is also much sweeter when you have a long shoot, and will be moving around. 3 hrs carrying the XL1s is not fun. IMHO, I also think that it slightly edges out the XL1 with zoom.
K. Forman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog