audio-technica wireless? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old May 15th, 2002, 09:41 AM   #1
Tourist

audio-technica wireless?

Does anyone know or have experience using the audio-technica 100 series wireless lav mikes? I believe it also goes by the description of U101. I'm looking to buy a decent UHF setup, but I wanted to try and stay under $700-800 if possible.

Thanks in advance - Chris
eightw456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2002, 11:20 AM   #2
Wrangler

Take a look at the Sennheiser eW112p

You might want to examine the Senheiser eW112p wireless lav system. I got mine for $450 and though its not diversity it has always performed quite well.

Nathan Gifford
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2002, 11:06 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I am looking at the ATW-U100 from Audio Technica as well. There's a killer deal on them at this URL:
http://www.equipmentemporium.com/wireless1.htm

The Lectro (Lectrosonics) gear is excellent too:
http://www.lectrosonics.com/
I used some Lectro lav's recently and am totally impressed, though they're pretty expensive compared to Audio Technica.

These guys carry both Audio Technica and Lectro:
http://leosaudio.com/nf/index2.html
They're out of San Francisco/Oakland. I spoke with a guy named Mike (in the SF store) and he was REALLY knowledgeable about the differences between the gear. Maybe give him a call or an email and see what he thinks of the U100's?

Hope that helps.

Last edited by Ford Minton; May 16th, 2002 at 12:39 AM.
Ford Minton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2002, 03:47 PM   #4
Boss Hog

The Audio Technica U100 system is a good on camera wireless for the money. It is a true diversity unit with two bands avaialble (700MHz and 600MHz) the 600 MHz is tagged with an "X". I went to their website and check frequency compatability by entering my zip code. I found less crowding in my area by using the "x" version. The aoutput is an XLR connector so you will need the XLR adapter (m100 or M200?)

The bodypack is all metal construction and the receiver comes with a pouch and and velcro bits for mounting. The receiver also has a headphone output so you can monitor the audio.

I also used the plug-on transmitter to take a feed from a PA system output to allow me to remain mobile and keep problems from ground loops etc out of my audio during some event stuff. Plug this little box into a line out from the PA and set it up high on top of the PA system effects rack for best lien of sight operation.

I have used one several times in the past year on a Panasonic Supercam... Yes, my XL1s will be here next week.... Can't wait.

Hope this helps.
cheers
Old May 17th, 2002, 10:22 AM   #5
Tourist

Thanks a lot guys. I'll check out that site. Your replies really helped me out.

Thanks again - Chris
eightw456 is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog