RRR - More Power... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old January 29th, 2004, 10:51 AM   #1
Major Player

RRR - More Power...

Hi All -

Just bought my second BP-945 batt. to complement the standard bat. that shipps with the XL1s.

How many batts. do you like to carry with you on a shoot?

You can nevery have enough power but when is it over kill and should this be enough to hold me over for a bit?

- AR
Aaron Rosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2004, 11:53 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I have two of the standard batteries, and one high capacity. I just shot a big wave day documentary that lasted from 6:00 A.M. and wrapped at about 3:00. I never ran out, though I came close. My camera also has the B&W viewfinder which increases energy consumption considerably. I will probably wind up buying one more high cap. battery for peace of mind, but that is more choice than necessity. I'd rather deal with having too much power than not enough
Chris Staab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2004, 12:14 PM   #3
Major Player

You can never have TOO MUCH power!

The Hi-Caps are great. We still use them on some of our older XL-1 cams. I usually went out with one on the camera and two on a charger. It was very seldom that I ever needed to switch out a battery, but I always beleive in redundancy when it comes to powering equipment.

Our XL-1s cameras take the Anton-Bauer Trimpacs...4 hours of continuous recording!!! Not that I would ever imagine needing that much continuous recording time!

We also power the UltraLight 2 with the same battery as the camera. This knocks the battery life down to about 1 hour 20 minutes.

RB
Old January 29th, 2004, 12:52 PM   #4
Wrangler

2 regular batts and one high capacity. I start with the regulars, unless I know the high capacity will suit. I have my grip run spent batteries to the car and recharge them there.

For quick answers try our Search!
To see me and Rob Lohman click here
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2004, 02:22 PM   #5
Trustee

In the field I carry three regular ones. Also a car charger. I have shot in Africa, Amazon River and Patagonia and have not run out. When going overseas I also carry a spare charger in case one gets zapped at a hotel. Car charger work great in the field and can be used almost anywhere, including a parking lot.
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2004, 10:19 PM   #6
Trustee

here's what i have:

CH-910 with dual 6000 mAh battery packs and one standard 930 battery. also have one car charger as well as the standard Canon one that plugs into wall.

i plan to get two more 6000 mAh and another CH-910, is this overkill?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog