Varizoom Lens Controller (VZ-PG-L) noise at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old February 17th, 2004, 06:57 PM   #1
Major Player

Varizoom Lens Controller (VZ-PG-L) noise

Just picked up a Varizoom Lens Controller (VZ-PG-L) for my XL1S and it seems to be working great with exception to two things:

1) The click noise everytime I zoom is getting picked up by the microphone (very little but noticeable)

2) Everytime I go into standby mode the camera shuts down and then powers back up immediately. If I disconnect the LANC standby works normally.

Any insight? Thanks.

Kevin
Kevin Janisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2004, 08:52 PM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

Standby mode using the Varizoom controller is a known problem. Use the standby button on the camera to enter standby mode and the button on the Varizoom to wake up the camera.

The buttons on the Varizoom we have are quiet. However, I'm not sure which model we have versus the model you list. In fact, sometimes we have to push the button extra hard just to get it to activate (which I DON'T like)

Personally, I prefer the Canon controller.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2004, 09:24 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks for the reply. The problem actually occurs when I use the standby button on the camera. It shuts down and then immediately powers back on.

The model Varizoom I have can be found at:

http://www.varizoom.com/controllers/pgl.php

When engaging the zoom it clicks once (more noticeable on zooming out than zooming in). Just wondering because I bought it used from bhphotovideo.com and being that it was so highly recommended by many people here in the forum I'm begining to wonder if it is a faulty unit.
Old February 17th, 2004, 09:34 PM   #4

<<<-- Originally posted by Kevin Janisch : Just wondering because I bought it used from bhphotovideo.com and being that it was so highly recommended by many people here in the forum I'm begining to wonder if it is a faulty unit. -->>>

That's not impossible. You may try checking with the company tech support. They are usually very responsive. We have had good success with our unit.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2004, 04:08 PM   #5
Major Player

Contacted Varizoom and the standby issue with VZ-PG-L is a known problem with the XL1S but doesn't seem to be an issue with Sony or even other Canon cameras. They tried to fix the problem but it only resulted in it not working properly with other cameras. So it's either you work around it or try a different controller.
Old February 18th, 2004, 09:02 PM   #6

Thanks for the report back. At least now you know.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog