Phantom Power for external mics at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old May 31st, 2002, 08:14 AM   #1
Boss Hog

Phantom Power for external mics

With more folks looking to use external mics (especially shot-guns) that requrie phantom power on an XL1s, has Canon considered adding a phantom power option to the MA100 or MA200 audio adapter?

I am looking to use an Audio-Technica AT835ST short stereo shotgun with my XL1s and would rather not have to add an outboard box to achieve phantom power.

Thanks for the input.
Old May 31st, 2002, 07:26 PM   #2
Warden

Hi,

I have yet to find an external phantom power supply that I really like. I use an AT4071a shotgun that really like for my nature work. Shure, Rolls, Beachtek and others make external supplies. I've tried a good half dozen different ones over the years and have yet to find a really dependable unit. My next candidate is made by Sound Devices http://www.sounddevices.com/index.html It seems to have very high audio specs and it rugged enough to be used on Mt. Everest. The headphone monitor is a bonus. I'm going to buy one in the next week or so and I'll let you know what I think.

I agree that Canon should address this issue, but it's probably not high on their list.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2002, 10:05 AM   #3
Boss Hog

Thanks for the input Jeff.

I am familiar with Sound Devices. They make some great field mixers, etc. I wrote to Canon and they told me there were no plans to offer an adapter with Phantom Power. Now I wonder if there is a way to modify an MA100 by adding a circuit to boost the +5V.

But, before I fiddle, I'll look into the Sound Devices solution.

Cheers
Old June 21st, 2002, 02:05 PM   #4
Warden

I have been field testing the Sound Devices MM-1. WOW! It is great. The unit is built like a tank and the overall fit, finish and construction is outstanding. It can be internally powered by 2 AA's (Ni-Mh are OK) or externally. Phantom power is switchable 12v or 48v. It has a headphone out with a seperate volume control and also a monitor input. Perfect for boom operators. The monitor in, can be the output from a walkie talkie, so the boom operator can take direction. The literature said the peamp was "unclippable" , Right! However, try as i might it has proven to be unclippable which is great for digital. It is great with my AT4071 shotgun.

The only downsides so far are size ( 2" thick, 3 3/4wide and 6 1/2 long) and weight (almost 1 1/2 pounds).

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog