Sending in my Canon to Canon for.... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old March 4th, 2004, 12:51 PM   #1
New Boot

Sending in my Canon to Canon for....

...repair or tune up. Has anyone done this? I have two XL1's, and I would like to get them "tuned" up. I called around Denver, and apparently the only place to service the Canons, is Canon itself. They have a shop on the East coast and The West coast.

My Question:
Has anyone ever sent in their Canon for repairs or "tune-ups" to Canon, and if so, could you give me a quick run down on your Experience...cost etc.? Was it a smooth transaction? How long did they keep your gear...etc.?
I am going to send my cameras, one at a time, insured, UPS.

Thanks for anytime you may afford answering this or responding.

Regards,
PMB 152
9457 S. University Blvd.
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Patrick Catanach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2004, 01:33 PM   #2
Major Player

I highly recommend sending them back to Canon once a year. In addition, I would recommend the East Coast facility for their quick turn around time. If your an XL1 series member (free), it is only $95 for the yearly check-up. Plus they offer a 5 business day turn-around....
Mark A. Foley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2004, 05:00 PM   #3
Trustee

Pat, do it. I usually send mine in to Canon in NJ about every other year (or before a major trip). But first, join the Canon USA Club, you can do this on line at www.Canondv.com. I believe the $95 charge is for your FIRST cleaning. They clean it, calibrate it back to original specks, check and calibrate focus, clean the viewfinder and maintain a service log, and, when you call them it set it up they even send you the shipping case for free. I highly recommend it. Also, remember to sent the entire thing, body, lens and view finder. Bob
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2004, 05:11 PM   #4
New Boot

Thanks Bob and Mark...."ya learn something new everyday huh?!"....thanks gents.
PMB 152
9457 S. University Blvd.
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Patrick Catanach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2004, 07:36 PM   #5
Slash Rules!

Can you be a member of the owner's club even if you haven't registered yet? I got my camera quite a while ago, but never sent in the card.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2004, 09:07 PM   #6
Sponsor: JET DV

You can call them, register, and sign up at the same time. However, it will take a little while to get your packet of information.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2004, 08:29 AM   #7
Major Player

How much time does it take?

I registered after reading about it here . . . that was about 2-3 weeks ago.

My brake mechanism went out and i'm getting impatient . . . rewinding on a borrowed $500 camera.

So, how long did you have to wait.

Cheers,
Old October 1st, 2004, 09:25 AM   #8
Major Player

I've searched here (for "club") and checked the website but can't find the phone number or how to get them to send the box for return. I know the number exists because I've called them and they verified my registration (registered online Feb of '03) but never received my packet (even after I told them I had not received it).
So if someone could give me a phone number for the CA shop I'd sure appreciate it.
TIA,
Randy
G. Randy Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2004, 09:05 AM   #9
Major Player

Factory Service Center
100 Jamesburg Road
Jamesburg, NJ 08831
Tel: (732) 521-7007

repair status1-1-1
repair info 1-1-2-3

Hotline - 1800-OK-Canon x8 (9-8pm)

I had to follow up with my to get my packet, too!
I'm not sure which number you'd call for the box.

Good luck comrade!
Old October 2nd, 2004, 11:30 AM   #10
Obstreperous Rex

CA shop info is on my site, see this page for details.

The number 1-800-OK-CANON can be used for just about anything you need; it's a fairly comprehensive resource.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2004, 09:38 PM   #11
Major Player

Thanks guys!
Randy
Old October 5th, 2004, 07:54 AM   #12
Tourist

I just sent my XL-1S into the CA shop. Everything was working fine one day. Next day, I can't focus or zoom. Possibly a failure in the servo motor.

It arrived on 10-4-2004. I'll let you know when I receive it back.

Bill
Bill Hertzing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2004, 08:51 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Brought my XL1 (currently I'm on a waiting list for the XL2) back in 2001 and just had it sent in to Canon Canada (Toronto) because I was getting frequent EJECT TAPE messages as well as artifacts towards the last 5 minutes of the tape (Fuji Tape is what I stick all the time - Ocassionally a TDK thrown in). They had to replace the Recorder Unit, DMC as well as a cushion stand all for about $650.00 CDN. I also requested a complete cleaning and firmware upgrade.

I got the camera back 2 weeks ago and the tape mechanism works now and the back focus problem went away. However they must have done something because the camera now operates only in easy mode!!! I cannot use any of the manual modes.

It's going back next week as I have a wedding to do tomorrow.
Norman Woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2004, 12:22 PM   #14
Major Player

Hey Bill, I hope you just forgot to post back when you received your cam back? I would like to take advantage of a 12 day period coming up where I won't need both cams (to send the funky focus one in) but could wait longer if it's going to take longer than 10 business days. If you already got it back, how long did they take?
TIA,
Randy
Old October 19th, 2004, 09:30 AM   #15
Tourist

<<<-- Originally posted by G. Randy Brown : Hey Bill, I hope you just forgot to post back when you received your cam back? I would like to take advantage of a 12 day period coming up where I won't need both cams (to send the funky focus one in) but could wait longer if it's going to take longer than 10 business days. If you already got it back, how long did they take?
TIA,
Randy -->>>

I had a paperwork SNAFU and forgot to send the receipt in with the camera. I didn't realize it until I received an invoice from Canon saying, "Ah...why did you send us your camera?" D'oh! But, after many rings to the CA office, I was able to fax my information in to them on 10-14-2004. I JUST received my repaired camera today (10-19-2004). Not too shabby.

I'm impressed. Makes me feel good about my purchase.

Bill
Bill Hertzing is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog